%: Player, Trumpet, Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was going to start a poll about this topic, but just need more TM skill!:oops:

Others and I have made the point that a trumpet playing experience consists of three basic elements: player, trumpet, and mouthpiece, and that, within reason concerning gear, the player is way more important than the other two. So how much more? And how much do the trumpet and mouthpiece contribute? Does the percent contribution for trumpet and mouthpiece change from player to player?

Why am I asking these questions? Well, we may be able to develop a certain consensus-based sense of scale that could be useful to nearly all of us, but especially so for beginners and comebackers. For instance, we may learn that so long as gear represents reasonable quality we might expect it to contribute maybe 10% to the playing experience. A beginner/comebacker might consider what we develop and back away from taking the plunge on the latest gee-whiz razzle-dazzle trumpet/mouthpiece combo. Or he/she may consider what we write and decide that improvement associated with new gear is worth every penny of required investment.

If you are bold enough to reply to this thread, I would like to politely challenge you to try to be as objective as you can, and not worry about identifying any particular gear combo that might compel you to defend choices made. My own present sense, based upon experimenting with thirty or so trumpet/mouthpiece combinations follows:
    • Player, 90%
    • Trumpet, 4%
    • Mouthpiece, 6%

So...what do you think?:think:

As an aside, my resident critic (wife), in response to my questions about how I sound with this or that combination replies in good faith that I sound like I am playing a trumpet.:roll:

Jim

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Without the player the other items just sit there and do nothing, so my opinion is:

Player = 95%, and the other items at 5% combined...then,

If the player is up to par and functioning at optimum capabilities, my breakdown then changes to:

Mouthpiece 85%

Horn = 15% at most...this assumes a professional level horn and not the professional/student horn comparison, which can be a significant difference.

I will always stand behind my opinion that what comes out of any horn is 95% based on the player....period.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    99% player (Maurice Andre still sounds like himself, even on an Ambassador with a 7C)
    .25% horn
    .75% mpc

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, the player should be broken down into an evolution of the 4 types:

Unconscious Incompetent: Is a poor player and does not realize it
    Conscious Incompetent: Is a poor player and is realizing it
    Conscious Competent: Is an accomplished player but needs to stay aware of it to make it so
    Unconscious Competent: Is an accomplished player and does not have to be concentrating on it to make it so

Depending on which of the above category you are in will make the proportion of Player:Trumpet:Mouthpiece change priority

If in the Unconscious Incompetent phase: Player (20%); Trumpet (40%); Mouthpiece (40%)
    If in the Conscious Incompetent phase: Player (60%); Trumpet (20%); Mouthpiece (20%)
    If in the Conscious Competent phase: Player (80%); Trumpet (10%); Mouthpiece (10%)
    If in the Unconscious Competent phase: Player (90%); Trumpet (5%); Mouthpiece (5%)

So Jim, I would say we are both in the Unconscious Competent phase of development. Will will have atoned when we reach Player (100%); Trumpet (0%); Mouthpiece (0%) at which point we become trumpet gods, sell all our expensive instruments and play on $100 Olds Ambassadors with Back 7C mouthpieces.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG Jiarby... I posted mine without knowing yours.... GREAT MINDS!!!!!:grouphug:Including Jim here in this group hug!

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, thank you Gary, but you and I both know that you are way better than me. When I listen to you, you seem to really be painting music with your trumpet, and I mean that sincerely. At this point in my comeback, I place myself toward the lower end of your Conscious Competent classification.

I am not surprised at our level of agreement. Without doing the math, our average so far may be something like this:
    Player, 93%
    Trumpet, 3%
    Mouthpiece, 4%

Jim

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I say Player is 95%
    Mouthpiece, 4.5%
    Trumpet, .5%

I went to the truck shop at work several years ago, found an old air horn, took the valve off the back and blew. I was surprised at how nice the notes that I produced sounded on it. The end I blew in was approx. 3/4" in diameter which is much larger than I was used to in a mouthpiece. Equipment matters very little. Safaries are just a waste of money. :cool:

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Player 20 horn 30 mouthpiece 40 instruction 60

Attitude 2000

Tom

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That Euclidean Math always did screw with my mind. That'll really throw off Jim's math now!

10. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Not sure I'm a Conscious Competent, but I was going to say 80% player / 10% horn / 10% mouthpiece.