%: Player, Trumpet, Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll reinforce what the prevailing thought seems to be...assuming a serviceable trumpet and mouthpiece, it's about 100% player. The choice of a better/more suitable trumpet and mouthpiece just makes what you can already do, easier.

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    And don't forget the final stage; Unconscious Incontenence. And what happens then? Depends.............. :lol:

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I tend to agree with Dale and Tom. The elements of musicianship come all from the mind. Pitch, rhythm, sound and style come all from within. If we are conscious of these things while practicing (with the goal of being able to be aware unconsciously) we'll know when a change is needed with the equipment.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is that at the point we seek consultation with the urologist? Robrtx does bring up a rather interesting perspective ya know related to the "player" dynamic (or lack there-of).

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    "If in the Unconscious Incompetent phase: Player (20%); Trumpet (40%); Mouthpiece (40%)
    If in the Conscious Incompetent phase: Player (60%); Trumpet (20%); Mouthpiece (20%)
    If in the Conscious Competent phase: Player (80%); Trumpet (10%); Mouthpiece (10%)
    If in the Unconscious Competent phase: Player (90%); Trumpet (5%); Mouthpiece (5%)"

Well I know where I am...

Seriously, we are not going to be able to answer this accurately. After all, if you have a 'lark' then the trumpet is probably 100% responsible for the horrific noises you are making. Whereas, If I have (Oh, if only...) a Bach Strad (or similar) then I am 100% responsible for the appalling noise coming out of the end...:thumbsup:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO if one is unconscious, no declaration of competency or incompetency can be made by physician or Judge. Succinctly, we need to evaluate trumpet playing with the degree of proficiency and for that we must be conscious and keenly aware.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Personally I prefer Pythagorean harmony. But then my Medicos told me I have an incompetent sphincter so I suppose it does Depends....

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ed, I think a better expression than "unconsciously aware" would be "subconsciously aware." A common map for awareness starts with "unconsciously unaware" to "consciously unaware" to "consciously aware" to "subconsciously aware."

Some rough examples:

Unconsciously unaware is a kid picking up a trumpet, making it sound and wiggling valves.
    Consciously unaware is a beginner seeing an F in the staff and trying to remember the fingering in time, or trying to count an unfamiliar rhythm.
    Consciously aware is a player trying to coordinate fingers and tongue, such as going back between F and G in the staff single or double-tonguing, or pushing the third slide out for a D below the staff.
    Subconsciously aware is the player who can be a passive observer and active participant at the same time.

Each element of playing goes through these levels. At some point, if the Subconsciously aware player in terms of pitch is working with a "student model" trumpet, they may note that it requires tons of alternate fingerings, and that the normal 23 fingerings (Ab and Eb) are low because the slide is too long. (The manufacturer's "fix" for the consciously unaware intermediate player--Eb may be flat, but at least D and C# aren't so sharp.) Then it is time for the player to look for a horn that is better in tune.

Weird, esoteric and mystic stuff, playing the trumpet.

Fun, too!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed... leave the cold legal world behind. I am using terms as it relates to the warm and fuzzy practical world of learning theory.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Did a little bit of the math, folks. Our averages concerning percent contribution to the trumpet playing experience looks pretty much like this: Player - 90%; Trumpet - 4%; Mouthpiece - 6%. We all understand that this was less than scientific and that our sample size was small. But we did have a nice TM cross-section represented in our dozen or so responses from serious amateurs and part-time and full-time pros. Newbies could find real value in our efforts.

It is interesting to me that in the face of these results, our general posting in TM may nearly invert the order. Certainly, we do indeed post a lot about method and theory. But I would not be much surprised if most of our posting was about gear. Why not? We're trumpet players and that is what interests us.:D

Jim