%: Player, Trumpet, Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Apr 11, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is why I am so missing Rowuk posts. He had some of the greatest posts about the head, which appears for the response analysis you made Jim, accounts for 90% of what we do here on TM. Rowuk IS the steward of the 90%. Of course Vulgano Brother adds to the mix, the Zen-spiritual side of the player.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I miss Rowuk, too, Gary. he was particularly helpful to me early in my comeback. But each of us are capable of writing more about the 90%, if we feel so inclined. Many of your posts and the postings of lots of our other fellow TM members have been helpful in informing my 90%. Our TM community is welcoming, and generally affirming without going overboard. When someone needs ideas or advice about their personal 90%, they are seldom neglected.

Jim

Its not about the gear, its about the music!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, I thought it was logarithmic scale!!!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    let's see --- my comeback is now in it's 5th year. my first year of the comeback, I would say the ratio was 75% player:20%mpc:5% horn ((I needed the mpc that fit me, that was important))------- now that I am nearly 5 years older, my lungs seems to actually be getting worse, but my lips seems very strong ----I DEFINITELY NEED MORE AIR, bigger lungs, or a younger body ----- I have the ratio at 97% player: 2% mpc:1% horn ---- on good days, when I can breathe well, and my aging body is functioning at a normal 48 year old level -----------the ratio would go to the 75:12.5%:12.5%

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    I dunno if I get the point, but surely as none of them can work (well) without the others, it's an even split between the three. :D

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why the study of music development is called theory is beyond me, where by definition "theory" is unproven. I prefer to call the progress of music developmental history. Much of the past has been laden with the conundrum of: if it doesn't work try something else, as breeds invention aka the Edison synopsis. Truly, the legal world is based on many "IFs" (the process of deduction) as learned by precedence or history, but music follows the same example. Yep, although when I play my Bb instrument, I hear the tones of my notes as if they were played by a C instrument. Too, I hear the harmony of other note tones as if they are played by a C instrument without regard to what instrument they are played with. This too, a conductor hears and my summation is that it is a players ears are the vital element of functional capability and secondary is the proficiency of lip and hand-finger coordination for a wind instrumentalist.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe the term theory fits:

• [h=3]the·o·ry[/h]/ˈTHēərē/

[TABLE="class: vk_txt ts"][TR][TD]Noun
      [TABLE="class: ts"][TR][TD]
      1. A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be...: "Darwin's theory of evolution"
      2. A set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based: "a theory of education"; "music theory".
      [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
      [/TD][/TR][TR][TD][/TD][/TR][TR][TD]Synonyms
      [TABLE="class: ts"][TR][TD]doctrine - ism[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

I do believe my posts explain the concept based on independent principles; and upon which activity (player with mouthpiece and instrument) is demonstrated.
      [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Trumpeting Pies

I think I can explain the point, cantplaytrumpet. Consider the trumpet playing experience as a pie, then consider how much of that pie is player, or trumpet, or mouthpiece. Rough consensus of early responders to my OP was 90% player, 4% trumpet, and 6% mouthpiece. Everyone understood that this was not meant to be a precise exercise. It may be useful in helping players, especially newbies or recent comebackers, as they invest themselves in music-making with the trumpet. They may want to be sure to "major in the majors" and put most of their focus where it counts the most.
    Jim

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Music Theory, as such, is more than just a harmonies course. It includes a number of disciplines, such as notation, analysis, form, composition, ear training and (yuk) sight singing and yes, harmonies. The theory part is how to bundle all of these together so as to provide a holistic overview, exploring Aristotle's world and bringing us back to Plato.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bah, humbug! All I've read about Music Theory is Rules, Regulations, and Laws ... yet nothing about the Art or Skill development.