Players who overcame

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    I have become a fan of Chet Baker lately knowing that he overcame physical issues with his teeth and was still able to play. I'm wondering if there are any other players I should be checking out who have also overcome physical impairments to their playing.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Louis Armstrong damaged his facial muscles, and covered the deficit by adding scat to his style... And the rest is history!

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Al Hirt had his front teeth knocked out by a reveller in New Orleans, who threw a brick and hit him in the face. Although it took a while, he came back trong. Clifford Brown was in a car wreck and nearly killed. He spent over one year in the hospital with multiple traumas. He was going to give it up; but, Dizzie visited him, encouraged him. He lived to play for 4 years some of the greates playing of all time. He died in a car wreck when his new wife forgot her glasses and was driving at nite and had a head on collision.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Al Hirt was popped in the chops with a brick at Mardi Gras. Put him out of commission for some time.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Pat, we tied on the post. 8:56

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow SteveRicks and Patkins! Serendipitydo-da. How often has THAT happened on TM. Seriously, check out the times of your posts.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Rafael Mendez had a door slam into the bell of his trumpet while warming up for a concert. He recovered and came back to become a legend.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Bud Hersth took a terrific hit to his mouth in a car wreck and still remained one of the best after much work and a change of mouth pieces.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Not the trumpet, but I have always been inspired by Ben Hogan coming back after his almost fatal 1949 car accident to win the US Open in 1950. They hit a Greyhound bus head on.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    He also was struck by either a thrown bat or a foul ball at a baseball game in Mexico.

OLDLOU>>