Playing 1 " tuning slide sharp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I was wondering if any other players ever had a problem with consistent sharp playing. I've been playing since 5th grade -now 55, and I have always had to pull the tuning slide out about an inch or so to match the rest of the band. Yes, I have an unusual embassure- 2/3 mouthpiece on top lip. I've tried severl times to change (when I was younger), with help from some of the best trumpet instructors in the state, but to no avail. I've played fairly good most of my life -2nd chair in two college jazz bands (A level bands). But when it comes to tuning, my slide is never out just the the 3/16 inch that is the "textbook" starting point.

Anyone else have this issue or found ways to correct it?

Steve

Olds Super 1946
    Olds Super 1962
    Bach Strad 1967
    Bach Strad 1970

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    If your tone is fine, then there is no need to change your embouchure. Some people, like me and you, naturally play sharp. In fact, some people's ears are tuned to sharp, so even if they pull out the slide very far, they will pull it a couple of cents sharp. All of these are minor "problems" that you don't have to worry about, especially considering that you've managed to be succesful.

I find it surprising that most people you play with pull the tuning slide out at the "textbook" starting point. My teacher and I have it pulled out at different lengths when we play together, and neither of the lengths is the "textbook" length. After all, there is a reason why the tuning slide is adjustable, right? We all have different playing characteristics.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Tuning.......... sometimes i think we worry to much about things,I to have to pull my main slide out further than the rest in the band. the best asset we have in this is our ears, the band could tune up to the tuner spending precious practice time to no avail if we don't listen to each other.its amazing how much we can lip a note in if we find a certain note out.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If you need to pull out considerably more the tuning side than the usual this probably means that you play high on the pitch which is caused by body tension. Check David G. Monette Corporation for more details.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Playing on a small mouthpiece will also make many people sharp. The problem with having to pull the tuning slide out an inch or more is that the other slide lengths become slightly out of proportion with the overall horn length.

6. wlopicka

wlopicka Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2005
    I've been having the same problem. I agree....it is more prevalent when playing a smaller rim diameter or a shallow cup.

I've noticed my problem is associated with my tongue level. I am raising my tongue to ascend in range rather than diaphram support. When I make this correction....things are fine. Now I need to make it a habit.

take care,