playing a shake

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 8, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I hope I don't offend anyone with another question, but I've recieved such great advice in the past that I thought someone would help me out again. Here goes! I play in a big band, and often times there appears a note that has a shake sign above it. I seem to be the only one in the section who actually has to shake the horn to accomplish this. What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You are doing it right:-)

3. aboomer90

aboomer90 New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    Durham, NC
    To be honest, if you have to physically shake the horn to get this sound, it's not a big deal; lots of players that I know do. I know some players can just do lip trills really quickly, however I'm not one of them and have to do 'physical shakes' as well :D

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    How are the other players doing it then? It's called 'shake' for a reason. They're doing it wrong or maybe you're just too self-conscious and think you're shaking more.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    To me, it really depends on the length of the note, but more importantly the style. Earlier styles used a quick, narrow shake that could be done with lip trills, perhaps even more cleanly than by shaking. Later styles used a slower wider shake that seems best achieved with a combination of lip slurring and physical shaking. I can do them entirely with lip, but there is a particular quality that comes from the added slight shaking movement.

With that said, I believe that when I do shakes, the actual movement is more of a forward and backwards type of movement rather than up and down (or sideways!).

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Wilmer,

That was fantastic to watch! Thank you for letting us see what you do and how you do it. The way you did shakes was how I always thought they were supposed to be done. The lip trills and other things are all new to me.

DK

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm with Wilmer, you shake the horn.

There is anothjer thread here on shakes.

Check out the video of Mike Williams of the Basie band, he shakes that thing!

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all once again. Your input has helped me a great deal. The videos were icing on the cake. Can't thank you all enough for making my trumpet playing so enjoyable, as well as educational.