Playing after mono...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jul 16, 2011.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    So, for the past few weeks I have been struck with plague (aka mono...) and because of how swollen my glands became around my neck it began to hurt to play (aka I pushed myself too hard one night while I was sick and I swear I was about to puke...) So, I ended up limiting my practicing to only a half an hour a day, because it just hurt too much to continue, even after fifteen minutes i was in pain. So yeah, it sucked big time and now after a week or so, my playing has been terrible, I cannot hit much higher than a g right above the staff or my inner throat starts to hurt... I don't know how to go about fixing this, any ideas? help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :-(

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Gargle on salt water. And give it time. It will come back. AND STOP KISSING ALL THOSE GIRLS!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have a similiar problem going on -- a week or so ago --my body was dehydrated as I didn't drink enough water.. Anyways - I pushed the trumpet practice -- and tried to "PUSH" the range -- and for a week or so my practices have sucked --- and although I know better --- I still try to force some notes in this past week, which I don't recommend.
    After a few (DISCIPLINED DAYS OF SOFT AND LIGHTER DAYS OF PRACTICE) the sound is getting better - and the range is getting better at a note higher each day.

patience -- that is the most difficult part of trumpet playing -knowing where your limit is at -- and too NOT push the range or the playing time -- especially if you are sick. that is my best advice....... "listen to your body" - pain is a warning sign!!!!!!!! slow down or stop -----for a few days --- then recover

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    That's because TrumpetKing doesn't drink water after kissing.... :-P

5. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Let your body recover first. Do not push it, it is just going to frustrate you.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not mono ... but worse, but I concur that pushing will frustrate you ... that's why I haven't yet attempted to play within my former capability ... but I'm enjoying what I can do now without harm.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And just think how his kissing could be improved if he would only purchase energy drinks from you trumpetnick!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Free Ads - just must love it!

9. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Many years ago I came down with Mono,hepatitis,Russian Flu ALL at once.
    HOW do you say?
    No clue but I almost died.
    The first thing is to get healthy you wont degrade or get better for the time it takes to get well.