Playing again after 30 years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gord4862, Dec 10, 2008.

1. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Hi Guys,
    After 30 years I started playing my old Conn 22B.
    What practice books would you suggest I use to get back into the swing of things.
    Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gord4862

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Clarke Technical Studies
    Colin Lip Flexibilities
    Schlossberg
    Arban's
    Focal Point - Rich Willey

3. gord4862

gord4862 New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Thanks

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I suspect everyone will have their own set of favorites. I just started playing again after 24 years away, and got the same "Breeze-Easy" books I'd used when I started in 4th and 5th grade.

It's nice for it to be familiar, and some of my memories from the lessons back then are vivid enough to be helpful. Eventually I'll work my way up to other books, but for just getting going again this is working out very nicely.

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I took 27 years off, and the first three on this list have been great for me. I'll have to look into Focal Point too :D

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You're in for some fun! The memories from places you would not think. One that struck me was the odors of horns, cases, old practice books. Takes me back.....

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have long since graduated from just playing from some hymnals to playing from all but the last of the mentioned books. It will all come back rather quickly, but, so do bad habits. Get yourself to a competant teacher. I was away for about 45 years.

OLDLOU>>

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I came back after thirty years, been back on the valve oil for three years now. BEST THING I'VE DONE FOR MYSELF IN 30 YEARS.......sorry for shouting ;-) but i can't say it loud enough. It won't come back easy, but like these guys did with me, it will come back. Arban's & Clarke, my two bestest buddies and practice. Loving it....welcome back....bests, chuck:cool:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with oldlou. Get a BIG dose of easy TUNES first. After a couple of weeks add long tones and some slurs. After a couple of weeks a bit of articulation. Once you are back into the swing of things, buying a book or 2 makes sense.

Arban
    Clarke
    Irons Lip flexibilities

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree get a good teacher. it will be good to start with a clean slate. with a good teacher you cvan stay away from the bad habits you may have had before.

Start with some easy song books. play for fun!! and some easy technicial stuff like scales and slurs in an EASY register. remember the LAST thing to come back are range and endurance.

I've taught many a comback player. you appreciate it more than the young students do. before i get shouted at, this is a generalization.