Playing again after 30 years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gord4862, Dec 10, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I know this is going to sound lame compared to all the advanced advice you are getting but here goes. I am useing the Method book that my son's school required we get for him. I am of course on a much more accelerated course of study then he is since he is 10 and it is all new to him. Once I get completly through that I am going to look at some of the advice you have been given today.

Oh one thing I did was I put an old mouthpiece in each car and truck I own. So now if the wife wants me to drive her some place when I am waiting int he vechile I buzz to the radio. One day I must have gotten 2 hour's of extra buzz time in 5-10 minutes at a time. My wife hates to drive in bad weather so often ont he week ends if it is bad out she ask's me to drive her and the kids etc..... Sometimes I go inside with her but sometimes I wait in the car.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    25 years off here. Back 3 years. Do what everyone else said :)

I began with a hymnal & Arban's. Added my old Schlossberg and Clarke shortly thereafter.

Do you hanker to take lessons?

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Gord4862,

I too had a (37 year) break, and have been back a while now. Every moment of immense frustration has been worth it. Fantastic.

I started by borrowing my nephew's 2000 Fundamentals book (the one the kids use when first picking up the instrument) and a book on musical notation. I had to relearn how to read the little black notes - who'd've thought you could forget that stuff. I worked my way through the Fundamentals and shifted onto a publication I found on Google call the Comeback Trumpeter's Guide, which was very useful.

More recently, having joined a couple of local bands (before I thought I was ready), I am getting good value from the Rich Willey - Focal Point publication.

Listen closely to the other comeback players here - they have been an inspiration to me, and I continue to learn from them daily.

Only last night I discovered what it was like to play in one of the oldest churches in Australia, The Garrison Church - in The Rocks, Sydney, where we played a Christmas programme in support of the local school.

Your journey will take a while, suck the greatest enjoyment from every part of your experience, it will keep you young.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This would never work for me. When my wife is in the car, I am supposed to listen to her, not the radio. I would also get an earful when the spit started running out of the mouthpiece onto my clothes or the carseat. Don't get the idea that my wife is a nag, she's not. She just likes the same quality time that I give my trumpets.............................

I used to have about 6 feet of 1/2" plastic tubing with a bell on the end in the car. When driving by myself, it was a genuine, imitation natural trumpet and I could play along with tapes or cds.