Playing Alto Saxophone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So, I avoid playing low brass because it hurts my mouth and pretty sure it's bad for my trumpet embrochure.

But is it so bad that I play alto saxophone? I really want to learn woodwind, but I dont want it to affect my trumpet playing. Will it?

Will it help my embrochure or just do nothing?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would think that a REAL trumpet player would prefer the baritone saxophone. It shares many of the important trumpet characteristics: loud, individual and more opportunity to show off.
    I played quite a bit of bari sax in junior high and high school. If you practice enough there are no negative issues.

3. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    lol.

Well, I like the higher tone you get with Alto. It's so cool, my brother played it.

4. jdizzle

jdizzle Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2008
    in the 513
    If I were to play any sax it would be the tenor. Rich full sound like Dexter Gordon or Coltrane. That's what I'm talking about.

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I think it would be cool to learn sax. If I hadn't just bought a new trumpet I'd still consider it because I like how jazz saxs sound.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. ARTIE RULES

ARTIE RULES Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2007
    Baltimore
  7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I wouldn't think it would affect (effect?) your embouchure for trumpet at all (unless you don't practice trumpet :roll:)

There isn't anything wrong with playing an inferior instrument (a woodwind) so long as you remember that brass is better. It might even help you understand how much better brass is :cool:

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Bagmangood hit the nail on the head -- the only negative about playing multiple instruments is when you don't practice all of them all the time. With careful practice, the different usages of the embouchure won't hurt each other. The danger lies in us becoming fascinated with a new instrument and practicing it to the exclusion of any/all of our other instruments.