Playing and smoking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Jun 24, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Re: Where is the artistic smoke?

sorry but most habits are bad -- except a smoking good trumpet practice ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, but nothing relaxes like playing a pretty ballad on a fluglehorn... and that's good for your lungs too!

3. arielredhunter

arielredhunter Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2014
    Akwesasne, New York
    I have never found playing the horn relaxing. Inspiring, exciting, fulfilling, and sometimes frustrating, yes. But not relaxing.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Playing trumpet is the most relaxing part of my day. Of course, everyone is different, and inspiring/exciting/fulfilling is good, too. :-)

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    For us physicians, it's our mental health therapy!!! Otherwise, Mike and I would be completely nuts. Cashew? Gesundheit!!!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you're as old as I am, here in the U.S. a pack of 20 cigarettes cost just 21 cents when I first started smoking ... the same year I also began learning to play a trumpet ... and then all cigarettes were unfiltered. Also, during WWII the War Department (Predecessor of the Department of Defense) bought cigarettes to be distributed to all personnel specially packed with 4 cigarettes in every K-ration issued, thus some personnel were able to get 16 cigarettes a day. For those military that did not want to smoke, they became barter trade items with those that did. Otherwise, families sent cigarettes to their military "children".

Now I ponder how many of our troops were killed by snipers when the flare of lighting a cigarette gave away their position.

Too, then many of the famous became paid endorsers of cigarette smoking, and many of our teachers and coaches smoked.

Also it was once considered quite fashionable to have cigarette cases, table lighters and ashtrays on the coffee table and executive desk. Even the BIC lighter company, or some other company made a table desk sleeve for their popular lighters.

Does anyone believe that tobacco will be totally banished? I don't! Sprays with nicotine are used to control the potato bug. Nicotine veterinary darts are used to subdue animals to treat them for their other veterinary needs or public safety. Too, they can subdue, harm or kill humans.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, you might want to spend even more time playing trumpet.

8. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    To hell with the trumpet. Have you ever seen anybody go through the entire process of dying of lung cancer? I have; too many times.

The wife of one of my friends died last month from lung cancer. She was a long-term cigarette smoker. This death involved about a year of agony, despair, months in the hospital, and hugely invasive surgery to open the chest and remove one lung. I'm not afraid of dying, but I choose to not go in that manner if I have any element of control in the situation.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Guys,

On 4th July it will be 5 years since I had my last ciggie.

Chose the 4th as it is a hell of an easy date to remember.
    After smoking for 30 years it has to be the best present I have ever given myself.

Most of my drinking mates still puff away so still crave the occasional drag....but not to be.

Hey,

4th of July is around the corner.

Cheers,

PaulD

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Best post ever, IMO!!!

BTW, I smoked on and off, mostly on, for 20 years. Stopped tobacco 29 years ago. Stopped smoking other things 7 years ago. Quit alcohol at same time. Have no respiratory affects (yet). Have plenty of wind for the trumpet.

I am lucky. Got good genes.

Playing is definitely a way to develop and preserve sanity.