Playing and smoking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Jun 24, 2014.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Best post ever, VB!!!

BTW, I smoked on and off, mostly on, for 20 years. Stopped tobacco 29 years ago. Stopped smoking other things 7 years ago. Quit alcohol at same time. Have no respiratory affects (yet). Have plenty of wind for the trumpet.

I am lucky. Got good genes.

Playing is definitely a way to develop and preserve sanity.

Smoking is definitely a way to ruin your life.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yeah, the stupid smoking thing on and off, mostly on for too many years ... then got off them by using the e-cig ... after two years of that dumped the e-cig ... recently. After gaining 20 pounds in a few months I said enough and started running and some water sports .. what a diff in my playing and wind ...
    Why do ex smokers always feel the need to share their story... no idea ...
    glad it's behind me
    and Rowuks analysis seems pretty right on

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dave, it's the self righteous glow that we bath in after kicking the habit that we use as a spotlight. And yes, Rowuk's observations were scarily close to the mark. I kicked the habit 25 years back and the only short term relapse was all about a small bunch of peers who were smokers. Standing outside in a cloud of fumes was a great place to solve work problems and indeed the problems of the world.

Smoking and overweight both have an impact on any wind related pursuit. After recently dropping some weight, I've noticed improvement in singing and playing..... sorry, I was momentarily blinded by that self righteous glow:-)

coolerdave likes this.
  4. Malamute

Malamute Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2013
    Sussex, England
    Listen to Ed and Tom and all those who say don't smoke. If I could go back in time and change just one thing in my life, and it's been tough, I would change the day I started smoking.
    Don't do it. Its not getting cancer and dying that is the worst of it. Its being the mad old disabled lady, who cant walk up a slight incline, or ride a horse anymore, or dance, or swim or go cycling, running, walk the dog, but still wants to play the trumpet.
    Your lungs get enough damage from working, car fumes,chemicals ,dust,etc.etc. without smoking as well. Nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man and I struggled for 35 years to give up. the money saved on tobacco bought me a flugel horn.
    I know which has done me the most good, and given the most enjoyment.

5. arielredhunter

arielredhunter Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2014
    Akwesasne, New York
    Oh yes, I agree. Don't take up smoking for the fun of it. Find another way to relax. Like becoming a wino, for example.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, it kinda like all depends, you know what I mean? I mean you just hafta figure out what state you're in. So like in Colorado you can smoke a whole lotta stuff and they don't even care! Is that crazy or what! The bummer is that any smoke in your lungs is bad for you! Most victims of house fires succumb to smoke inhalation! Eventually it will take a toll on your playing (when you can't breath well enough to blow).

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I've met one of you ----- Gosh I hope Mike is doing well!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I hanging on by a thread, man! ;-)

Mike

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Don't LOSE your grip, man!

ken
    ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: Where is the artistic smoke?

Well I am certainly glad this thread got started. It's not always cigarettes in the music world that are smoked. Some legalization might accentuate this so for those of us struggling THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD.

As for the il(legal) smoking eating is now becoming vogue.