Playing Angry

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Mar 23, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I had a terrible day at work today, practically the worse ever. I came home VERY angry and I still am. I can't even sleep. Well, my night time practice is Clarke's Studies which are going terrifically. But, tonight, I could barely make a correct sound. I got to the point where I almost gave up thinking it is worse to even try. I was so tense that playing softly as required was near impossible.

Is really possible to have the chops so affect be mental state even when they feel good? Is it better just to not do it at all.

BrotherBACH

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Playing angry or frustrated never helps us to play better. I have fallen into the trap a number of times and it only produces more anger and frustration. Remember, playing requires relaxation and total mental committment to what you are doing. If you let other things get into your playing you usually lose.

3. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Anger and relaxation are mutually exclusive. You can't relax if you are feeling angry, and if you can't relax, you can't play well. I suggest taking LOTS of deep breaths and alternating tensing and relaxing of your hands, shoulders, and neck. If after 5-10 minutes of that, you still feel angry, call it a night. There's nothing to be gained by playing in a way that will likely involve poor mechanics and sub-par focus.

Scatmanblues

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maybe you should take up playing drums. :D Actually, I'm only half joking about that. I've pounded out a lot of anger and frustration on a drum kit over the last 8 years.

I've found over the years that playing is definitely affected by mood - it's always best to try to relax and get in a positive frame of mind before picking up the horn to play.

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'm sorry to hear about your work day!

I... I tried playing after horrible events... and it usually never ends up working out. I think what I try to do is just reset my mind and focus. If you do it right, you should just forget about everything and listen to the sublime sounds you are making... just long tones... just relax... Even if the sound isn't sublime, then just imagine it...

Also, it may just be a good day to take a break after blowing a couple long tones...

It's hard!

6. trptStudent

trptStudent New Friend

Jan 5, 2006
    Anger is a fairly intense emotion both psychologically and physically. It can trigger the release of lots of stuff in your body that could affect your playing and moreover, is just plain distracting.

If you are so angry that you can't play, then you're too angry to play. Maybe do some exercising instead to work off all that emotion.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The musicians curse ... an emotional lot we are
    I feel for you man ...
    I am no doctor.. but I am sure when we get angry we breath shallow, tense up ...so if it's any consolation we all have been there...
    I guess the real trick is to practice deep breathing and relaxing in advance ... so when this day inevitably comes you will have a better chance of bringing yourself down and "going to that happy place"
    You could do what I do.. break out my electric guitar... find the knarliest distortion and shred until your fingers bleed.
    How about clean your horn ... that always feels good... and listen to your favorite tunes

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    BB,

In such moments you would better put your trumpet away. Ioga will be much better option.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  10. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    When I am angry, which is not all that often, I never play. I once had a bad day and while playing drums I ended up putting my sticks through my snare head twice.

Thank god I wasn't holding a horn. When angry, watch a little tv, re runs of the show Wings always makes me laugh, or cops is good too. Nothing like a drunk loser trying to outrun a patrol car on a bike in the middle of the night through a corn field, to make you appreicate how much better your life really is when compared to that guy.