Playing Angry

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Music is all about emotion, expression and connecting with that feeling. When angry, put the workout books away, play a tune (from recall - no sheet music required) that comes to your mind at the time such as "Take this job and shove it", and play it like you feel it.

Deep breathing excercises? Playing the trumpet IS deep breathing excercises. Angry? Then get in touch with your innerself, chose the tunes to communicate the feelings, then go blow your brains out[discaimer - figuratively]. This is cathartic. I am a physician, that absolutely recommends this therapy. And it's cheaper than paying for the psychiatrist (which I am not).

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    BrotherBACH,

Thanks for posting ... your timing is mental. I'm so angry (at a Producer) right now that I can't even think about playing trumpet. The electric guitar doesn't look satisfying either. I agree with others here, that when it becomes therapy and is no longer musical practice, it's time to do something else (or get a drum kit ..... thinking about how I sold my beloved Roland electronic kit, it makes me madder ...). Aaarrg.

Turtle

I need to calm down and listen to either Bach or the Four Tops .... that usually does it for me.:-) Good luck.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I also agree wholeheartedly with this. IF you can channel it effectively, you can acquire more depth to your "feisty, aggressive" playing, when you're not angry.

Either way, doing something else or channeling the anger (with focus) into your trumpet playing is good. The middle ground between these two (unfocused angry practice) is what should be avoided IMO. I feel better just talking about it.:dontknow:

Turtle

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Agree with the others! MY "therapy" is to go chop wood! I get to hit something and beat the crap out of it. It makes me feel sooooo much better and it keeps my house warm.:lol:

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    TL8,

What I would give for a wood stove ..... there is nothing therapeutic about changing filters on the central heating.:-P

Turtle

6. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I find my horn is just what I need after a bad day.
    I get completly immersed in it. Maybe it is easier for me since, I cannot read and so I play with my eyes closed. I find the trumpet is a great release in that it is such a viceral
    experience. A few tunes that I blow as high and hard as I can, releases all the tension. Works for me! (probably not so good for the neighbors) Sometime a good manhatten first, as a mood adjustment, is a good idea too.

7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    One always needs to find a release. For me that currently is often obtained by getting the trumpet out and playing because when I have had a crappy/stressful day playing trumpet helps put me in a better mood. Unfortunately playing at night wakes me up and gets me wired so I can't go to bed...

Other avenues, go run, exercise, mow the lawn, etc. aka if you are exerting a bunch of energy beating a drum you get 'it' out of your system

I have had many experiences where going to a lesson I've just dealt with an hour of rush hour traffic, kids, work, etc. and it takes me a few minutes to compose myself but by the time I finish playing I feel at least 50% less stressed.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't know about angry, but after a long week, I make a point to accept whatever I do on the horn as good, because I know my coordination is better on other days.

I think this is where for the more advanced players are able to go on cruise control, but I really have to focus, and when I am not 100% there it goes down hill fast.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you feed any fire, it will get hotter. The horn can be used to quench anger too. That takes a pretty strong personality.

When I am mad, I get out the hymnbook and start playing EASY tunes with a message. That is a lot more fun than frustrating myself with something terribly technical.

10. Brass Orchid

Brass Orchid New Friend

Feb 9, 2011
    Free improv on the horn after a stressful day or when I'm down fills me with good vibe. Sometimes I put on a tune I'm curious about and figure out a scale that fits and just go, listening with curiosity to what my tone is doing. I make sure that I spend a lot of time floating in the lower register. I stop thinking about what I'm trying to accomplish and let the sound tell me where it wants to go. When I let go of outcomes, I always feel better after playing the horn. Chopping wood helps too! :)