Playing at different times during the day than normal...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dr.Rico, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Dr.Rico

Dr.Rico New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL
    So I have an all-state audition this morning, and I figured it would be nice to get up and do a real slow morning warm up. So I started to play, did some long tones, and slurs, and everything just felt real tight. It took over triple the time this morning to get loose and warm up than it does in the afternoons, when I usually play. Does this have something to do with me never playing in the mornings? Should I do a warm up every morning?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have never had a warm-up routine. In high school, band rehearsal was before first period, so I had to be ready to play at a very early hour of the day. I believe in being able to roll out of bed and play my best......... I have had to do this MANY times. Too many times.
    Don't warm-up every morning. Play every morning. Don't pamper your chops. Play the Haydn Concerto. Play Goedicke at 6 AM if you can, you will be surprised how free of performance anxiety you will become.
    Go for it.
    Wilmer

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    There was a thread awhile back. The point was to make pee at least twice before playing in the morning. Something about slight lip swelling in the mornings due to waste products building up slightly from not urinating all night. I know my lips are slightly swollen when I get up. Just reporting the past thread. I don't know if this is valid or not.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are tons of reasons why it took longer to get the juices going. The primary one was probably anticipation or anxiety. Routine is the solution. Actually it doesn't matter what you call it. If you have something important to play coming , you need to rehearse that time of day too. We are creatures of habit and that brings Wilmers post into real focus. If you practice NEEDING a warm up, you will become dependent on it. If you practice picking up the horn and playing, you will get good at it. That does not mean to start your playing with double C. On "practice days", you should have a sensible routine that starts slowly and has a logical progression. Wasting your chops in the first couple of minutes is not sensible.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I encouraged my students to buy a trumpet stand for use at home (not the rehearsal--we should keep the horn in our hands when playing, and rests are a part of playing). The idea is to pick up the horn and play. With practice it becomes real easy, and concentrating on the results rather than the process is an important and healthy thing to practice.

6. Dr.Rico

Dr.Rico New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL
    I never thought all that would work. I've wanted to be one of those guys who could pick it up cold and go, and I may have just found the way to reach that point. Thanks for all the replies.