Playing at High School Reunion after 30 Years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by glennled, Apr 20, 2011.

1. glennled

glennled New Friend

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I have about 13 weeks to work with a new student from a South America who is returning to her home town for the reunion of her high school class 30 years after graduation. The band (~30 members) wants to play some of their old songs to entertain the class. Someone is sending her the sheet music. She says she played 1st trumpet but hasn't touched the horn since graduation. She's rented a nice, new Getzen trumpet and seems very eager to practice. She doesn't know the letter names of the notes; they played "Do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do."

This should be fun! When I see the music, I'll see where we have to go and that will suggest how to get there in time. Meanwhile, I'm curious about whether any of you have faced a similar challenge. What are your ideas about how to approach this and enable her to succeed?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Glenn,
    Tons of great advise to be had here... I am into 9 weeks after 20 years off.
    The biggest piece of advise I can offer is to make sure your student doesn't over do it...
    I also am partial to using page 125 of the Arban book played staccato .. it seems to help the tone .... of course as part of a balanced regime
    good luck.. looking forward to hearing what pieces were selected

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Glenn - don't forget the "Octave downshift". ROFL

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For that short amount of time, I would keep the technical studies to a minimum, the lip slurs, long tones and easy tunes to a maximum.

Tons of tunes like out of the Hymnbook are a great method to get back into playing. With the themes of each of the tunes, the player can easily understand what needs to be portrayed.

5. glennled

glennled New Friend

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, Rowuk, you're confirming the approach that I've been thinking about: "lip slurs, long tones, and easy tunes," plus the actual music she remembers and will play at the reunion. Build her strength, tone, fingering, and range to the demands of her high school music. Let her memorize (instead of reading) all the notes she wants to. Whacha tink? What am I leaving out?

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I would highly recommend the Rubank Elementary Book. It has one lesson per page so the students will feel like it is very doable. Plus, it starts from scratch and works towards an exercises with notes a line above the stave. So, you can just start her off at her range level right away and go from there.

For example, each lesson starts out with long tones, lip slurs, and then rhythm patterns and perhaps a short melody. The whole thing could take a half-hour and you cover all your bases.

BrotherBACH

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The lack of endurance is probably what will be the most frustrating part. It's one thing to do passages out of a method book and be able to rest as much as you play. I found that on that simple clip I posted my chops were tightening up and I was seriously struggling to finish. So I am really spending more of my practice time on long tones.
    Might be something to consider.