Playing bassoon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sterling, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Ok, here's my last three days: wedding with piccolo trumpet and flugelhorn. Next day, Eflat SARV cornet with our civil war band for 2 hours, and today playing bassoon for two hours. It will be interesting for the next week. I have another Civil War gig on the 4th and a wedding the next Saturday . How resilient are everyone's chops? Playing is fun!

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    A couple of weeks ago, thursday night 2hr big band rehearsal, friday night 3hr dance playing mix of 1st and 2nd books, saturday morning 3hr orchestra rehearsal playing French horn. Chops a little tired but ok. Sure is fun.
    This week, thursday 2hr big band, saturday morning 3hr orchestra, sunday 3 hr big band at a Winery, 100+ mile drive each way.

Regards, Stuart.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    God I envy you guys. Sounds like you have a dream life of playing gigs, I'm assuming making some good money at it, and generally having fun. Savor it!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, I have played with a few baffoons in my past. They do tire you out.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In the orchestra, the bassons sit next to the trumpets - pretty smart not being on the receiving side of what we do best.........

6. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Those are the guys with the swollen red butts??? My mistake, those are the baboons...

7. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I wish I could play the bassoon. Of all the orchestra instruments, it has the most captivating sound for me.

(Peter and the Wolf, anyone?)

I'd throw my trumpets away if I had the ability to play a double reed. Alas, I can't but shriek on an oboe, and I'd assume the bassoon would be just as bad.

mgcoleman - best line I've ever read on this site

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Satchmo Brecker, I am a middle school band director who needs the summer to be reacquainted with odd band instruments. Gigs during the summer, weddings, Civil War concerts, big band, and brass quintet are lots of fun and they help pay the groceries as we teachers don't get paid during the summer!

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have been paid for only one gig, the band I played in played at a football match, some one passed around a hat and we each took home 1/- (10 cents). The year was 1949.

Regards, Stuart.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    There IS something about being paid to play that takes some of the fun out of it. I suspect that when Im paid I tend to analize and continually try to give them their money's worth. Wasted energy that could be used for a better performance. Dont get me wrong, I like being semi-pro (you cant pay the bills with it) but when I play for free its a lot more easy going and turns out way better most of the time. Best wishes.