playing behind a vocalist

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Apr 25, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Has anyone played behind a vocalist and might be able to shed some light as to what you do. Aside from no playing too loud, are there some tips we might use. Thanks!

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What are the other musicians doing? Remember, common sense dictates.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I frequently play behind vocalists in churches, and two primary things ot watch for are volume and tempo, so I agree that common sense goes a long way.

Some soloists take great liberties with tempo, so you really have to be on your toes, particularly with call and response type passages.

With groups or choirs you sometimes get complaints from different voices (particularly sopranos) if your part matches theirs and they think you're drowning them out. Music Director is the decision-maker, so in those cases ask for guidance.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well..playing too loud can be appropriate ..depends on the vocalist you are drowning out..
    seriously.. if the vocalist isn't use to a trumpet or lead instrument I aim the bell away from the vocalist

5. CalebWayne

CalebWayne Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2010
    I second Dave. I've heard a few that could benefit from a little brass beating....I'm thinking of volunteering to be in the bands of some of the "latest and greatest" "musicians"...

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you mean improvising behind a vocalist,keep it simple.Don't over shadow the vocalist,you're there to back him or her and make them sound good and shine,not for you to show off.

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I agree with all of these, depending on the music stick some long notes in underneath as a bit of harmony with something else between passages or phrases, when the vocalist stops put something then go back to very simple things, also a mute can work wonders when playing Ballards and church music

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    As usual, Al is right on.
    I've backed up singers and other instrumentalists a few hundred times, including some world-class
    performers.
    Your "job" is to make their life easier and the whole performance better, not to show off (unless it is called for) whatever skills you have. (Or might THINK you have).
    Over the years, I've known a few so-called trumpet players who never get called back. They were poor musicians. Being a trumpet player should not automatically mean being a less than thoughtful musician.
    R. Tomasek

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    And, if improvising, look for empty spots to fill.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THAT is the God's honest truth. You should try and follow, if the singer doesn't forget where they are. Fortunately, our band has individual monitors and any "singing' can be turned down/off. I usually have the sound guy turn lead singer down if it's a wannabe.