playing behind a vocalist

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Apr 25, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But you can get much sassier with the Wah Wah (harmon with plunger). I have carried amazing conversations with singers using this and the audience goes crazy!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So what's your advice if the singer's a dude ? ;-)

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    When backing up a vocalist, my approach is this- whatever you play, enhance what the singer is doing-don't showcase yourself. For the most part, play in the gaps, answering the vocalist's phrase- or if playing at the same time, just play something that makes the moment better. The only rule is to above all, LISTEN and then play.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A flugelhorn at close range and open your spit valves often.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :shock::-o

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We're talking male bonding on stage. Kinda like sitting on the front porch, telling a good story while chewing tobaccie, the spitting it out into the front lawn, except it's on stage. You know male bonding stuff.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing behind anyone means that WE have the option of friendly fire. WE need the strategic intelligence to know what is good for us and the the group. Shooting the poor soldiers on the front means that we at one point are on the front with the rest backing us. Then what goes around, comes around.

Now go do the right thing.......

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    We really haven't talked about audio "space" ... in recording you try to make sure instruments aren't fighting for the same frequency space. I think with a male singer that would mean playing higher and the inverse for a female singer ... even if you are playing at the same time. I like the flugel idea with a woman soloist.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The key here is the term "friendly fire". Friendly fire on stage can really enhance the emotion, not only of the performer, but also the audience. When the vocalist (male or female) and BACKground trumpeter are aware of these dynamics, the performance will be enhanced. Strategic intelligence IS vital in order to pull this off.

Soldiers supporting the troupes on the front line will truly get reinforcements from the infantry (ensemble) in so doing, and victory will be unconventional!