playing behind a vocalist

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Apr 25, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Somehow your sentence prematurely truncated. At least you got to play with a pro-bable jerk!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lets' not get too focussed on the negative - I learnt A LOT from her - and I WAS in her space. She did front for her round of drinks later, and I've never thought much about it all until now. Nahh, good experience all round really. I've occasionally said things that I regret - but only occasionally ;-).

And isn't that Renee Olstead something, eh? Another fabulous redhead .... "Blue", the child bride, may be jealous - she knows redheads are a fascination.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :lol:

4. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    I do it every wekend. Just try no to blast over the vocalist. Play softer is he or she has no mic so you won"t play over them....

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Haven't read the whole thread so if my comment is a repeat, sorry. Miles Davis said to always give the vocalist a head start. Give them space by not playing in the 1st verse. Crowding them early can be a bad thing.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's what we usually do. We wait for the 1st mistake before we drown them out! ROFLROFL

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1

8. larrygk

larrygk Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2012
    Cincinnati
    My extensive experience playing behind a singer started exactly last night. I read these posts yesterday b4 my 4 piece combo practiced and for the first time we invited a singer to it. Good experience, and a few observations/results:
    1) I like what Miles said: give them a head start, especially as we never heard him sing before.
    2) Feel it. Listening for years helped that out tremendously. It was similar to years ago when my teacher introduced bebop scales to me. He said yeah you memorize them but if you feel them the notes will sound. They did.
    3) Fill in where the tune has a measure of only a whole note or a complete out-measure(s) for the singer.
    4) Cup or Harmon mute almost 100% of the time.
    5) Be ready for the singer (this guy had nice chops but sometimes just cut out) to not follow the exact form (yeah, it happens).
    6) Kept pretty strict to V7's and major/minors with nothing fancy like Tritone sub chords or stuff like that.
    7) Saved my chops by at least 1 hr.

What do I know...just my first experience. Valuable stuff on this thread.

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    To make certain the vocalist never comes back, play the melody very softly 1/4 step down.....

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or don't shave or wear deoderant.