Playing (Buzzing) on the Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, May 4, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play the mouthpiece daily with a B.E.R.P. attached. Any exercise within sound reasoning that puts a player "in touch" with their lips and trains them to realize they can have control of said lips, is fine with me. Anyone that thinks they can play the trumpet by just playing the mpc is misguided.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is the basic problem, the lip buzz is NOT AMPLIFIED. The vibrating lips simply sets up a resonance in the horn and that is what determines the basic sound projected into the room. There is also no amplification. The reason that we don't all sound the same is the properties of our lips that define the front end of the resonating structure. Better players can control the lips better and shape the resonance. Musical style also has a lot to do with our perception of tone.

That being said, buzzing is an isolation of one of the playing processes that CAN be useful in context. It is not a cure for anything and not part of any secret to get better. The most extreme buzzer that I know of is Lyn Nicholson and anyone interested in his type of playing should check him out. Plenty of playing examples on Facebook.

I teach long tone buzzing to get the juices going an to teach some chop control. 5 minutes seems to be more than enough.

3. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    The original video is 100% opposite from what I've learned in my lessons with Adam Rapa. If your good on a mouthpiece you'll be great on the horn. If your stinky as I first was on the mouthpiece it is a great spotlight on how your technique needs to improve. With so many great players here I'm sure you'll read differing opinions. I thought I'd share from my experience with someone that seriously wins on the trumpet. I have since improved significantly on the mouthpiece and as a result on my horn too.

4. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    That shouldn't "put you in your place". There are probably thousands of trumpeters better than you - and every one of us - and a good number of them waste lots of practice time buzzing their MPs. The fact that they are "better than" you does not mean that they are better because they buzz.
    That said, there's good evidence on both sides, so buzz on.

B/

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was at my teacher's house the other day and mentioned this "conundrum". He smiled and shook his head and chuckled. Do what works was his advice.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is always the question - did the better buzzing improve your playing or did better playing improve your buzz? You only know what works after trying it. And if it doesn't, nothing should crash and burn with a buzz.