Playing certain notes fast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, May 2, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I've posted before saying it seems like sometimes my notes just simply cut out. I think I've honed in on the problem. When I'm playing combinations like 2nd space A down to F down to D, if I play slow enough the F comes out fine because I can adjust/loosen my embouchure (or whatever) so that the F comes out and not the Bb above the A. But when I up the tempo I reach a point where I'm thinking F but my face is evidently thinking Bb, so i miss the F (sounds like a shadowy Bb) then have to force out the D below or just stop altogether.

I guess I don't understand what to do to play things at speed. Like a run of A - F - D - F - A etc. at 120 would seem impossible. And similar issues with say A - F# - ... where it wants to play up to B.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, but first do you have a teacher?

3. Satchmo Brecker

Jul 19, 2010
    No, but I do have a mile high heap of bills and 2 kids, soon to be 3, going through college. So for now the experts on TM will have to be my teachers...haven't failed me yet! :)

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Each note has a bullseye. Your goal is to learn to play from note center to note center.

Is this the situation?? You are playing an A (1-2), then G (open), and finally trying to play F (1) but then a HIGHER note (Bb-1st valve) comes out!?

Every note has it's perfect embochure setting. You have to control your apeture, airstream, and tongue in coordination with your fingerings to play each note in the center of the pitch.

Try doing chromatics... Clarke Technical Study #1. Do them as written, but then also descending (start on the high note and go down then back up). Soft, smooth and light!!

Try starting your scale run on the low D up and back down. Do you have the same problem when you play higher with your "low setup" as you do playing low with your "high setup"??

5. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    It sounds like you are trying to speed things up too quickly. Get some techncal studies and work through these. Make sure you play at a speed that is comfortable and speed up gradually. If you use the Clarke studies recommended above play them slower than the markings to start with. Use a metronome to track your progress if you have one. Flexibilty excersises like lip slurs will also help. Also playing long notes will help you improve.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I play technical studies out the whazzoo. I do chromatics constantly especially the Clarks and I have those down pat up to around 100bpm. jiarby - I'm not trying to play a scale but just the chord A - F - D - F - A, so A straight to F etc. And let's face it the finger combo A(1-2) to F(1) is easy. It's just I can't get it to NOT do A - Bb unless I go slow.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    How are your lip slurs? Iron's and Schlossberg lip slurs should make those issues much, much easier to deal with. Do you have easy lip slurs in your daily routines?

I was taught to start those kinds of exercises by as little loosening/tightening of the embouchure as possible. True, the notes aren't perfectly centered this way, but that's what you work on NEXT.

But, really, the best advice I can make is to be patient, like Andrew said, and focus on getting it perfect at slightly slower tempos.

9. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    You could make up your own exercises around this problem - maybe tounging and/or sluring between the notes you find difficult (arpeggios). Start of at a comfortable speed and aim to increase the speed by 1 beat per minute every day/every few days. It sound like its not the fingering that you are struggling with but lip flexibillity so lip slurs will help.

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Then that's what you should practice:

A - F - D - F - A

Start slow and even, work through different keys:

Bb - G - Eb - G (etc.)

When you get to the point where you can play through the sequence several times without problems, increase the tempo slightly.

You'll playing this stuff up to tempo in no time.

bigtiny