Playing different horns?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Mar 8, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I have my Yamaha ytr 6320s which is my pride and joy, then i also have a King cleveland 600.

The yamaha is the best horn i could afford and i like it a lot, it is easier to play nicely, through the register i have. Although i like the sound the King makes, it's warmer and mellower but quite hard to slot correctly in my high register. the Yamaha is easier to slot but sounds shriller and my low notes c down to F# sound almost like farts. (couldn't think of a better description sorry).

Question is, i won't take my yamaha out to the park with me for fear of something happening to it so i take the King. Is it detremental to newer players to use 2 horns that are quite different? Should i stick strictly to my yamaha for a few more years?

Or is it even possibly better to get good on different horns?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Just use the same mouthpiece and be aware of the differences in the horns (which it sounds you are). I'd concentrate my practice time on the one I play the most, though.

3. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Yeah i use the same MP. I just like to get out of my room and practice out doors when the weather is so nice, gets stiffling in my room all the time. Cant take my yamaha with me it took me a long time to get it I think its a pro horn? I notice the differences with the 2 and would love to try a bunch of horns to see what would be best for me, somehow i think a large bore would be good for me, cause i like to put lots of air into it.

Is outdoor practicing even good because the sounds gets swallowed up and you just hear whats inside your ears mostly?

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    In my opinion, outdoor practicing is obnoxious. Some outdoor performances are too, though...:D

5. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Ha ha, i usually go under a freeway bridge or the corner of a quiet park.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    check for a bad cork on your 3rd slide... or maybe a leak.

A 6xxx Yamaha is a $500-900 ish horn, so it's not like you are risking a Martin Committee or NY Strad.
    Maybe dump the King and get a $200 2335 Yamaha.. it should be alot closer sound wise to the 6320

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If there are not any leaks in the horn, than the tone you describe is not the horn. It's you. A shrill tone is coming from the way you play. same for the low note farts. Do you have a teacher who can help you with this.

It will not hurt you to play both horns.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've played so many cornets and trumpets that I've come by and sold, and use a variety of mpcs and I also play mellophone and euphonium regularly. Doesn't seem to be any significant difference unless the instrument has a problem. That said, I recognize that now I do have personal health issues that affect my practice / playing. Certainly, each combination of mpc and horn may produce a different tonal quality. Mostly, I find it is familiarization with the combination that provides the best consistent results.

9. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    Since you brought it up, I HATE outdoor gigs. Either too cold, too hot, too windy, too many bugs, too ____ (I know I know, whine whine whine.....).

Brad361

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Much of brass band historical performances were outdoors ... as were most of ours (at school athletic events and parades), but the best performance any trumpeter can do is outside ... the sounding of TAPS.