Playing duets with your kids

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Just wondering how many people have had the joy of playing duets with their kids, either trumpet duets or different instruments? My son Forrest has been playing almost 3 years and he is at a level now where we can play real music together. It's really, really fun. I'm going to be so bummed when he moves out of the house after high school. Good thing that's a ways off!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When she was initially learning (throughout life we continue to learn) I didn't have the time available, but during my comeback we jammed twice when she visited from out of state. Each time I was in sweats afterward as I really had to work to keep up with her as she now plays all the single reeds and flute pro level IMO. To chase her "upstairs" when she played her clarinet was disaster on my part. We laughed and had great fun though. That's a "picture" I want to "reprise" at sometime following upcoming cardio surgery and dental restoration.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I've been doing so for about a year -off an on. My son just finished his second year of band. He doesn't really understand he is getting a pro lesson every time we play -he just knows he made first chair in the all county band :). It is a great way to teach them and enjoy it at the same time.

I'm running into the problem that he doesn't want to polish anything -just read it. He reads REALLY well.

Anyone have any suggestions of good duet books? My collection is very limited -most are too easy.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Been doing duets and three piece work with my wife and SIL in church for awhile. None of our kids picked up an instrument. the wife may get to do some duet work with our one granddaughter on flutes pretty soon. The grand is sitting first chair in her grade school band in her first year:thumbsup::oops:

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My daughter and me have been doing duets since she was two but probably earlier if you include singing. She just turned 7 and had her first public piano and trumpet recital.
    One of my prized posessions is a recording done when she was around two and she had just recieved a pocket trumpet.
    I was playing and recording a killer version of My Funny Valentine and she came in the recording room and joined in. Of course her playing sounded like fart noises but she was jammin'. That particular version is called My Farty Valentine and is absolutley the best version of that song I've ever heard.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey Steve,

Don't let on that he's getting a lesson!

And if you try recording it and letting him hear the playback that might get him interested in polishing. On the other hand, if you just keep reading stuff that will reinforce development of a truly valuable skill, and polishing can wait.

veery

7. MGTrumpet

MGTrumpet New Friend

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple Grove, MN
    Four years ago I got to do a trio (Carnival Variations) with my two sons when the community band that we've played in did a concert at the Lake Harriet Bandshell in Minneapolis.

THAT was a real thrill! I can't imagine playing getting much better than that.

My wife and I have been very richly blessed by a number of the activities our two boys have been involved in over the years. And, now one is married - and that adds even more exciting things!

I hope everybody with kids can enjoy that kind of excitement.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too play regularly with both my boys, but not as a trio - I'm not up to their skill level. We share a Band, tubologist, trombonist, and some trumpeter - but it sure is a great feeling to join in.

9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    A couple of weeks ago my son (a keyboard major at McNally/Smith Music College) sat in with our community jazz band. What a wonderful time we had! That's certainly a memory I'll cherish.

10. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    As a comeback player & ex-high school band teacher, I just started giving lessons to our 15-year old daughter (clarinet) and our 9-year old son (cornet) a few days ago. They just love it, and it's such a pleasure to see their obvious enthusiasm when our nightly music lesson is competing with TV and Nintendo's DSi.

We're up to page 3 in an old band method book and last night played *very* simple duets and trios featuring half and quarter notes(!!), swapping parts and changing tempos - and they were just thrilled. It's such a kick when you see that sense of accomplishment and the "I can do this!" expression on their faces!