Playing duets with your kids

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Thought I'd share a video we made tonight playing Stravinsky's Fanfare for a New Theater together. Unfortunately, it's in the wrong key because we don't have a pair of C trumpets to use, but I think it works pretty well on the Bb trumpets anyhow:

YouTube - ‪Fanfare for a New Theater -- Forrest (age 9) and Rich‬‎

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

:thumbsup: + :thumbsup: ...... that's one each.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I did trumpet/cornet trios in many of the local evangelical churches with my dad and grandpa from the age of ten onward for many years. When grandpa passed away this became a duet with my dad. I do miss those days. My kids have no interest in instrumental music. Some of my grandkids have followed in my footsteps, though. Regretably they chose woodwinds. At least they are playing music.

OLDLOU>>

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    None of our boys got into instruments. And so far only one of the ten grands has picked one up, and it's a woodwind( flute). So, maybe in a while her and grandma will be doing duets. There's still some hope as I've got 5 that are still small( under 5)..........Buck:oops:

We just had the one's flute overhauled a couple weeks ago, $150, but it looks like brand new( a Bundy).........Buck:roll:

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's incredible Rich! wow.

6. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, Trent!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have 4 grown children, 3 of which play. I play duets with all of them (Sax, Tuba,Oboe). It is an incredible learning experience for me! Actually, we share ensembles, so even after they move out, we have opportunities.

Great job with your son!

8. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks. I'm hoping to play in a community band with my son starting in the fall. Thus far, his only opportunity to play in ensembles has been during summer band camp since the school band program at school is geared to kids starting starting later. I think he's going to really enjoy playing with others more often. I know that's the motivating factor for my own practicing.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    My daughter took up trumpet for her music credit in high school because she knew that I "used to play". I discovered that she was thrown in with students who have been taking music lessons for eons. I got scared for her and that is when I picked up my trumpet again to help her. She mades huge amounts of progress to the point where we did play simple duets. It was great. While her music credit has come and gone, she gives herself credit for getting me started on the comeback trail. I miss those duets.

Best Wishes,

David

10. horatiodante

horatiodante New Friend

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    My grandmother would play her accordion with me on trumpet when I began playing.

We always had the dream of going to New Orleans and playing on a street corner.

She passed away in 1997. I have her small accordion. :thumbsup:

I miss our duets too.