Playing fast.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 14, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm feeling like I'll never play the thousands of fast notes played during a jazz improv. a la Arturo, Dizzy, and so many others. Never the less, I'm interested in hearing from TM ers that can shed light on the ability to perform the above................crow

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    From what I've seen, even though I'm still a "young one" that main reason people can't perform the "fast" licks is because 1. They think they cannot and 2. they tend to concentrate too much on the notes. Two might be a little vague, let me try to explain. What I mean is I see a lot of people always trying to maneuver their lips for the perfect note each time in a lick so it looks as if they are chewing cud like a cow or something. This is not needed, just relax, keep your embouchure set and blow THROUGH the lick. After that is down, it's just a matter of how quickly you can push down those three little buttons we call valves, lol. Just my two cents. Take care.

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    There are a lot of good soloists who can't play as fast as Dizzy. Miles couldn't, and he did all right. Concentrate on what you can do. You can only play as fast as you can hear, so try to develop your ears.

My $.02.

Michael McLaughlin

4. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    On every instrument, the key to speed is to relax and let it flow.
    I just had to record a Vocal part ala Gilbert and Sullivan that sounds impossible.

In the end I had to completely relax and let it happen.
    (Still can't do it on Trumpet though!!!)

jmp

5. beartrumpet74

beartrumpet74 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    JMP -
    It has been my experience that practicing things VERY VERY slowly yields speed and accuracy the best. I've also heard this same thing from countless heavies in the world of trumpet
    hope that helps
    Matt

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Back in the 40s, everyone was trying to imitate Diz. Miles could do a passible job. There are a couple recordings with the Metronome All-Stars that Diz, Miles AND Fats trade solos and you can't tell who's playing:cool: Don't sell "The P.O.D.( Prince of Darkness) cheap, he was quite a player when he wanted to be.
    Wilmer

7. dales

dales New Friend

Jul 11, 2007
    Arlington, MA
    That record Miles did with Tadd Dameron in about 1949, "At the Paris Festival International," is some of his hottest and fastest playing on record.

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Vizzutti technical studies, playing through the Omnibook, Clifford Brown solos, Clarke's, and just WORKING REALLY hard have helped my fast playing. Get your trumpet "flow" really solid by doing your fundamentals! I also think shape and hope "muscle/ear memory" will help me through any set of changes that might pose issues. You just can't get to playing fast easily without a bunch of tech. work.

Okay, off to bed before Praise band in the morning!
    -T

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Wilmer,
    You've played and been around the N.Y. jazz scene for years (I know, you probably don't want to be reminded). What were you told, and what do you tell others about improvising on "up-tempos". I'm talking about going from one chord to another playing runs up and down. What's the wisdom?..........crow

10. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Trent, Can you elaborate on "shape, hope, muscle, ear memory?.........crow