Playing fast.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 14, 2007.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Freddie attributes his facility playing fast up-tempo tunes to having lived and practicing with Eric Dolphy. I am no expert, Ingrid and Tony are the ones to ask.
    Wilmer

2. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I think you should just listen to and practice the things you want to be able to accomplish. Have you played any of the Clifford Brown transcriptions?
    An excellent lesson in Structure and Flow as opposed to simply playing fast.

I mainly picked up goofy Rafael Mendez licks as a kid. I could play them fast but that isn't the type of player I aspired to be.
    (no offense to Rafael fans...I do have 5 or 6 of his records in my collection)

jmp

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks to all.........I'm putting everything you say into the mix, including posing the question to Tony and Ingrid..........tom

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Muscle memory comes into play if you learn the Clifford solos from the recording and not a book. Better to learn five from Clifford's records than twenty five out of a book. Ear works better than eye for long term memory.

Michael McLaughlin

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oooh, I like that a lot! I would add to that, we can only play as fast as we can think--if we aren't somehow defining a goal, a definite note, it will only sound like someone trying out a trumpet for the first time and pushing a bunch of valves real fast. (Our "science fiction" friend might advocate playing faster than possible and letting the brain catch up, but centuries of experience promote the idea of quality first and foremost, then stretching the envelope.) Have fun!

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Vulgano,
    That's what I was afraid of...thinking! Mine has slowed down with age. I haven't exercised it enough in the area of Sight Reading, Ear Training. Even playing scales at rapid tempos is memorized more than read note for note. I'll know where I stand when I've reached the limit of my skills. I know I'm not there yet....................tom

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I've been doing ALOT of transcribing lately, some Miles and mostly Chet. Some of their licks are so 'simple' (not boring!) they are brilliant. I can easily take some of these and put them in a double time feel.
    From hearing Clifford (not ready to transcribe him yet) play I would guess he did just that, rip up and down scales and arpeggios?
    As someone else said, probably start slow and work up to it. That's what I'm trying, gotta crawl before we can run- right?
    -Andrew

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Right on Andrew...........

9. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Don't forget NOT to skip the "walking" part!:cool:

10. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Didn't Woody credit his development in the time he spent w/ Eric as well?:cool: