Playing Flute and trumpet/flugelhorn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by qigongjohn, Aug 25, 2006.

1. qigongjohn

qigongjohn New Friend

Aug 5, 2006
    Dartford, Kent, UK.
    Greetings,
    I have returned to trumpet/flugelhorn after a few years lay off,
    I have been playing Flute during this period, and wonder if anyone has
    any experience playing both instruments,regarding embouchure problems.
    regards John.

2. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    As a teacher I have never come across a problem with people who play both instruments. The thing I usually come across who flute players really have trouble learning trumpet and trumpet players have a lot of trouble on flute. I have tlaked with many who are good at both but this is a common issue I see. I have worked my tail off on flute and have taken many private lessons and I can still only make a sound on like 3 notes on a good day..lol. I can do all the fingerings but making a sound is not easy. Most of my trumpet playing friends are the same. That's my experiences at least:)

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm not 100% sure, but I belive Noel Langley in London plays both trumpets and flute.

-cw-

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have known a couple that could do that double. Me I can't even get a sound out of the d***ed thing.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There was a guy who used to post several years ago out of San Diego... an acquaintance of Flip Oakes' I believe... who played semi-pro on both instruments. I "think" he gave up trumpet to concentrate on flute but not certain. Anyway, it seemed to work for him.

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've always heard that flute and trumpet have very similar embouchers, and if you're going to play two instruments alot and not want to worry about the embouchers messing each other up, flute and trumpet are the best two to pick.

I'm not sure though, thats just what I've heard.

7. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    I tried the flute, in high school because my younger sister kept playing "One Day Over The Rainbow" and getting this one note WRONG and it was driving me nuts! She kept getting to it, get it wrong, then go a few more notes, then stop wondering what the hell want wrong. And over and over lather rinse repeat - ARRGH!

So, I gave it a try, could do a few notes right off, but wow it made me out of breath!

And I never took up the flute and my sis never got "One Day Over The Rainbow" down. The End.

ROFL

8. qigongjohn

qigongjohn New Friend

Aug 5, 2006
    Dartford, Kent, UK.
    Playing Flute and Trumpet/Flugelhorn.

Thanks everyone for quick responce, I was a little
    worried in case the embouchures clashed, but it
    seems things are OK.
    John (Qigongjohn)

9. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    I play both trumpet and flute (and clarinet) Never had a problem except that you have to practice twice as long if you play two horns. And three times as long if you play . . .well you get it!
    Trumpet chops won't hurt flute efforts. It's just a matter of developing proper flute chops. Someone above mentioned getting out of breath on flute. Flute takes probably more air than any other upper register horn. The big lungfuls needed for flute actually benefit trumpet playing. But an embouchure isn't black magic, or something that has to be coddled lest you lose it or damage it - it's all about muscle development just like any other exercise, in which case, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander IMHO.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I used to play the flute parts in a horn band in the 70's. The sax player didn't double on flute, so I learned. The embouchures are very similar. It shouldn't hurt your trumpet playing at all and vise-versa.