Playing for a wedding

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Nov 28, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have found that when playing for a wedding the bride always wants to hear something so she can choose a piece or two.

I have some free space from my cable internet company so I put this up. Now I can send her a link and she can choose.

This is me playing with a music minus one CD recorded in my basement.

http://webpages.charter.net/joespitzer/

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I'm impressed! I wish I could get that quality of a recording in my basement.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

Excellent!

VEry nice work!

D/&out

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    DITTO!!!!!

GREAT SOUND!
    -cw-

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Sounds pretty good! I am always wary of giving the customer complete tracks as samples. Instead, I give out small samples, starting in the middle of the piece and fading out after 30 seconds or so...

There's always a chance, unlikely as it is, that someone will use the recording for the event instead of hiring a live musicians. It never happened to me, but I remember hearing that one of the string quartets where I did my undergrad had this happen to them. Maybe this is going too far, but better safe than sorry I guess...

-Jimi

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I always thought the same thing and then it came to me. There are complete recordings of pieces like these by players a whole lot better than me! Why play my recording when they can buy a recording of Wynton doing the same piece with the entire New York Symphony? I figure if they took the recording that they will use me or another live musician,

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Not bad for a basement recording! I'm always amazed at what can be done in "home studios" these days what with quality mics available and pro level software that equalizes the playing field and makes pro level home recording a very real possibility.

I'm curious, what did you use for your recording setup in the way of mics and other hardware or software?

For the curious - and not to try to rob B15M of his thunder, but here is the sound clip page of my band - everything that you hear was recorded in my friends basement studio and the stuff that is labled "CD Volume 2" is the most recent, and best produced stuff that we have done. We use it for the same purpose - to provide sound clips to prospective customers: (I'm listed as Patrick G.)

http://www.newmonopoly.com/audio.html

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Patrick,

That is pretty good stuff. I remember being on the road with a show band playing Soul Man. Our intro was a lot like yours.

My recording was done with a C.D. player for the Music Minus One and a C.D. recorder for me. I used a cheepo Radio Shack mike about ten or fifteen dollars. I plugged the mike into a guitar pedal for reverb. That's the whole studio. No mixing or editing. I recorded once to get the balance and left the controls alone.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Very nicely played. (and now we know your name, Joseph!) :D

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow! That's one heck of a sound considering the simplicity of your "studio". I would have never thought to use a guitar pedal for reverb effects, but hey, why not? :D

I am seriously impressed at your ingenuity, not to mention the quality vs. budget that you've got. You have given me some ideas. :evil: Hehe!