Playing from Memory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by neal085, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    On a far more serious note, Stuart, every time I see your avatar I think you are about to light up a big cigar.
    Comments? Discussion?
    Sorry.:)

J. Jericho likes this.
  2. N1684T

N1684T Mezzo Forte User

Jun 28, 2016
    I think the same thing. Although a second glance shows a trumpet;) I have one lit up now though;) Ceegar's are cool.....

BigDub likes this.
  3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I always like it when someone lights up a trumpet! :play:

neal085 likes this.
  4. N1684T

N1684T Mezzo Forte User

Jun 28, 2016
    If i could only figure out how to smoke the ceegar AND play. Drummers, as well as guitar and keyboard players get ALL the breaks;)

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Wayne, I think you have confused me with tjcombo, another friend from Australia.

Regards, Stuart.

J. Jericho likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have been playing lately with a singer, and was finding it frustrating playing behind her initially, as she would NEVER sing a song in the traditional key I had in my Real Books. So I gave up bringing my music to the stage and playing behind her. And in so doing, this has really opened up my playing. I have found not reading or trying to transpose and just letting my ear and her voice guide me has been very liberating, and has taken my playing to another level. The more we listen, the more we hear. The more we hear, the better communication happens between performers, and keeping the ink out of it just opens up the conversation to an optimal experience.

BigDub, tjcombo and J. Jericho like this.
  7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    We have some singers (three sisters) in the choir who occasionally sing in the "wrong" key (usually a semitone or so up or down), and they have strong voices and characters and so everybody else moves to match them. They also sing in harmony with one another but not always the same harmonies the rest of the choir is using. The organist and I have learned to adapt to this.

--bumblebee

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I would adapt to that by finding them another interesting (to them) and valuable activity.

bumblebee and Voltrane like this.
  9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It's all part of the same package.

Have you ever closely compared a piece you've played from memory for many years with the original source you learnt it from? Are they the same?

Probably attacking my own argument to some extent, but going back to the original Brubeck recording of Take Five, I was surprised at how much I'd altered it over time in order to make it more trumpet- (and more Seth-) friendly. I actually swing it quite significantly more than the original, and rehashed some of the fuzzy sax ornamentation into more standardised figures that work better (IMNSHO) for the sharper articulation of the trumpet.

And it's not the first time I've noticed this by any means. Just about everything I play from memory must have been 'Sethised' to a certain extent over the years: holding over a phrase ending when I didn't really need to breathe; turning a mistimed valve press into a deliberate grace note; or just generally emphasising any aspects of the tune that caught my fancy.

My memory is pretty lousy by most standards (I'm useless with names and faces), and really need to see a pattern of some sort in what I'm working on to make it stick. I don't think I'm particularly short on the range of patterns that can be pressed into service, but it's not infinite by any means, so whatever I learn is going to be 'massaged' to some degree before I can get my head around it.

neal085 and J. Jericho like this.
  10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I resemble that remark! Smoking, fortunately, hasn't been one of my vices for more than 30 years. Old habits die hard and if I have a cigar, my reflex action is to inhale all of the "goodness" just like in the bad ol' habituated days. Makes for an even worse hangover, so I try to stay a self-righteous ex-smoker.