Playing High C well

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrRage, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    This is probably going to be different for everyone but about how long should it take before you can play all of the notes from low C to high C and still being able to control it?

I haven't played the trumpet for 12 years and when I did I don't remember being able to play up to high C well, but I never worked on developing my range either while I was in school - school never emphasized the importance of it. So now I practice a few times a week and working on just scales right now. Eventually I'll be practicing daily but its been hard to find the time, but thats no excuse for it.

So yeah, just wondering how long does it take to get good at that range. If I had to guess I would say 6 moths to a year.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm a comebacker with 10 year off --- and at 44 ish started on the comeback 3 years ago. Meaning I had the range from low F# to high C+ before I quit. some people will say that doesn't matter --- I don't know ---- but YES, I would say 6 months to a year (more like the year side) with me, and that was with 1-2 hours of practice each day -- for me that is...... hope that helps, but that is to make the whole range --- musically playable

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    It took 2 1/2 years of playing, from when I started until 8th grade. But it was worth the time. My range shot off after I could get the C cleanly every time. I would just play some simple songs up the octave, like twinkle twinkle, jingle bells, or any other easy song.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    To be honest, when I came back 2 1/2 years ago I still had a Double G above High G- what I couldn't play was LOW C!!!!!! I've got it now!!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    then you did it all wrong -- your supposed to get the low notes first!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL But that is an equally frustrating thing for sure -- back in the day (high school) we had a guy like that --- and most of the music was written in the staff and a few notes below --- which he found really frustrating, as he was a "good" player in the staff and slightly above --- but nothing below the staff!!!!!!!!! very embarrassing for him

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My range was surprisingly good after 25 years off.
    High C no problem. Intonation and tongueing were crxp!! Accuracy was cxap!! Breathing/breath control crax!!

6 months after playing with bands it started to comeback. Community bands really give confidence.

My first rehearsal with the community band was terrifying. My reading was just OK, but I realised when the music was placed in front of me for the first time, that I needed reading glasses for playing trumpet. My bi-focals were too low, and I could not see that charts. I sounded bad, guessed the notes badly, balanced the glasses with one hand to hold the bi-focals up....generally a mess. But kept going at it, and enjoyed it.

Range is NOT the guage of a good trumpet player. But to get better, playing is the only answer, and listening to good musicians to motivate you.
    Cheers

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW - when I stopped playing 25+ years ago, my range was a solid High G above High C.

Now after 4 years back is a solid E above High C, and can get 50% on the F and about 20% on the G.
    Range is not the way to measure success, but it is good to have a solid range.
    But everything else is coming along at an OK pace.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Range is not the way to measure success -- but it is pretty cool at our ages - to (on a good day) -- hit our high range notes --- and have them solid and beautiful and hold them for awhile ----- come on Peter ---- admit it --- that is way cool, isnt' it??????????????? and it's cooler to play a small riff there, isn't it??????????? c'mon Peter -- even if we are doing it for our OWN amusement, and entertainment, ---WE STILL FEEL GOOD ABOUT THAT --don't we????????? I do.

So, if the OP wants a High C - I say we encourage him, and give him and idea of the time and persistence it might take him -then of course he can determine if HE thinks it is worth his trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey KT,

I still want a Double C before they put me in the box.:cool:

10. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    Cool well thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be practicing more and we'll see where I end up in about a years time. Well take it easy.