Playing High C well

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrRage, Dec 25, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The easiest way to play a high C is to give it to someone who has invested years with quality practice to make it sing - like me.

Playing anything well means that we understand the function of that note in the music that we are playing. That is not just a matter of practicing high notes, it is also an intellectual process aided by slurs, longtones, scales and easy tunes - optimally monitored by someone in the know.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Send me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will send you one for the "box". Actually, all good things come in threes, I'll send you soft medium and loud too!

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. Since we are in similar shoes, I have a thought or two. Within about 6 months or two of my comeback with dedicated practice I could hit a solid resonant high C. BUT, it was more like a maximum lift. I am little over 2 and a half years into it now, and I still can not play a high C within my range of complete control. Please read the following website, it is most illuminating. Your range of complete control is always lower than your maximum lift. By the same analogy, it would be the weight you can control and lift with perfect technique. This would be your playable range in "all" articulations". Right, now my range of complete control is between exercise 20 and 22 of Clarke's First Study. I think that is G to Ab.

TaKaTa Trumpets - Range of Complete Control

Best Wishes,

BrotherBACH

4. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    Well you do have a good point about everything else that goes along with playing well. But for now I'm just working on being able to play the notes and once I can do that well I want to work on technique.

Added:
    I guess its worth adding that when I started playing about 6 months ago my range was limited from low C to G. It didn't take long for me to hit C again but I was lacking the control to really play anything for some time. Today the highest note I can hit is High C for a few seconds and I can play a controlled G above C (I think thats how you say it.). I am practicing more these days and I've noticed an almost exponential improvement with daily practicing vs. practicing once every few days.

Once I can hit high C controllably and on demand then I'll start exploring what I can do musically with the range I have, while also working on hitting double C. Double C would be cool, but I'm going to hold off on that till I get more fundamentals down.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There are so many people out there hitting dub C's that I think it is possible for almost anyone with desire and discipline! If you want to, you will!
    It's like one of my teachers stated..."If you believe you can, you will. And if you believe you can't, you won't."

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I will have a box of "D's" for "In The Mood" at the end of a 4 hour dinner dance, my check is in the mail.

Regards, Stuart.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yup, looks like you are only 3 notes away -- I believe you can do it!!!! -- BUT the big question, and this goes to the OP as well --"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT???" --or more precisely do you think you can put in the effort, the time, the know how, and dicsipline, the breath support, the "technique", etc. that it takes to do that??? -----yeah ---- the discipline and time!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, but those 3 notes (Double A,B,C) are like crossing the Pacific in a canoe! :shock:

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and yet -- that can happen
    Traditional Canoes Cross the Pacific : Discovery News

and even -- given enough time (6.5 years) --a bottle can do it
    Message in a Bottle Crosses Pacific - AOL Travel News

but then again -- they all start in the land down under -- Australia --- wait a minute --the Aussie is the guy who wants a DHC --- yeah, looks like it can happen, especially at STARTING POINT AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You will find that D's that are 2 1/2 ledger lines up are fairly easy. I like that note the best of my high range. I know in the mood ends on a D, is that the one you are talking about?