Playing in Church

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gstoole, Mar 23, 2007.

1. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    to play from the hymm book on a Bb trumpet - add two sharps to the Key sig and move everything up a step... remember E up a step is F# - and B up a step is C#, etc... knock em' out.

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    In a previous part of my life I transposed a lot of music to play on my C trumpet and my piccolo trumpet in A. I transposed the entire Messiah for both horns by hand at my kitchen table. The way I remember to transpose is to think of whether the trumpet has longer tubing or shorter for the part I am transposing

If my trumpet is a Bb it has longer tubing than a concert C so I have to raise the note a full step.

If I transpose the Bb Messiah part to D I have to lower the notes two steps to compensate for the shorter D trumpet raising the pitch. (I hope.)

Every time I have to transpose I get out the horns and check what I've written.
    It has been a very long time since I have done this so If I made a mistake send me a PM and I"ll remove the post. No need to add to the confusion.

3. davyar

davyar New Friend

Nov 2, 2004
    Belleville, Illinois
    Stick with the B-flat until the music director asks if you have a C. All his or her personal arrangements were for B-flat. My purchased solos are in B-flat. And my purchased quartet/quintet arrangements are for B-flat (although some have C parts)

Good luck.

Dave

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Very seldom do I play the Bb in church unless I have too. I use my C for just about everything. No transposition just play along and I'm comforable playing on it.

Now every once and a while I'll play a nice lyrical piece that I think is better suited for my Bb Cornet so I'll transpose and transcribe the piece ahead of time and play it on my Cornet but only once and awhile.

If I'm playing with another trumpeter I'll usually try to match his sound. If I'm not able to on my C then I'll switch to Bb and play with them. For whatever reason all the other trumpeters I've ever played with in church have all used Bb's.

The key signatures are a bit easier when your playing in concert pitch.

Most of the music I play would be in B major (5 Sharps) in Bb. On the C that's A Major (3 Sharps) much easier to play!

I guess what it really boils down to is this. Do what you can do with what you have. Above all enjoy yourself!

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am pretty comfortable with most transposition. Do you know what I find peculiar though? Since I have been playing A piccolo in C or D transposition for so long, the notes have merely become symbols of the notes to which I am transposing. If I think about it too literally anymore, I get temporarily befuddled.