playing in early morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WHISTLEPIGSBAND, Feb 15, 2009.

1. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

WHISTLEPIGSBAND New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    i used to play occasionaly in church. my problem when i did that is that i cant seem to play as ussual in the morning. no range, hard to get a sound, bad tone, lips dont want to respond. have tried extended warmup, using pedals to get something going, getting up at 5 am so 9 oclock didnt seem so early, excercising before i warm up, nothing seams to help. the only thing that did help was playing on a bach 1 with a 22 throat. huge! normally play on a 7c size piece. its not just sunday mornings. any time before 12 or 1, my chops dont want to work. i play in a rock band, and a 5 piece jump blues band. evening work. 3 to 4 hour gigs, no problem. tone, power, range, its all there to the last note. any insight on this?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    very simple: we are creatures of habit. If you are not used to jumping out of bed and grabbing the horn, your chance of success is reduced.

Remember that our bodies generally regenerate when we sleep. When we wake up, there are rituals that can help or hurt other activities. Breakfast is a great time to get the brain in gear, rehydrate, replenish the calories that were burned during the night and get in a "performance" frame of mind. Practicing right after breakfast is useful when you have a church gig coming up.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I had a similar problem in college. One of the symphonic band rehearsals was 8:30 am on Thursdays. To say I sounded like crap the first couple of mornings was an understatement. To remedy the situation I would wake up at 6:00 on Thursdays to let my body (and mind) wake up a little bit.

I do the same thing for early church gigs. I make sure to get up early so my face and chops have a chance to get ready. Just think about the amount of exercise your face gets from talking, laughing, and smiling all day...

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have Jazz band in the morning, starting at 6:30 until 7:15ish. My tone is great, but my upper register suffers. Then at around 8:30 (in band class) my ranges comes back, but my tones suffers, only a little though.

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Yeah, this happens to me alot. In morning band practice, 70% of the time my skill is down about 30-40%. Everything worse, range, tone, etc. On bad days (which happens about 10% of the time), I can't even make a sound. I sit there for about 5 minutes trying to make a sound. I have range up to a high C, but on those days I can't even get a C in the staff without pinching. I think its what you did the day before, like if you played really hard the night before, this will happen in the morning. I took it easy and played quietly, and in the morning I can play much better now.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Morning can be tough for me too. My lips are always puffy in the morning, regardless of my trumpet activity the night before. Even when I hadn't played in months (due to health), my lips were STILL puffy in the morning.

The only thing that helps me is to get up early, and try to move around and feel active. If possible, I don't warm up until I get to the gig. First, it gives me more time to wake up, and second, it puts my brain into performance mode and helps me forget about the puffy chops. I really only need a few moments of playing to make the chops "go," so if you like a long warm up, doing it at the gig may not be practical.

7. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    My former teacher, Willem van der Vliet (former Amsterdam Concertgebouw) was able to play Bradembourg 2nd at 9 o'clock...
    He said that if you must play at 9 in the morning, you should be able to do a short warm-up and then be ready to play what else you should.
    Later, in the afternoon, you'll do remaining study job.
    Best

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm a morning person - I seek out opportunities to practice early, capacity and crispness are optimised, although I believe my tone (strangely) is best at night - perhaps I'm more relaxed (tired)?????? :dontknow:

9. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona

Breath attacks, mf or lower volume, daily, to get the lips used to reacting to air.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Get up earlier then usual so you can drink plenty of fluids to flush your system this should reduce the swelling in you lips.