playing in early morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WHISTLEPIGSBAND, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Some have excess fluid in their lips in A.M. Some lip flapping and buzzing while driving on the way to a morning gig will work it out. 7:15 AM for four years was always too early for me too.

2. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, my lips are also kind of slippery and have excess fluid on my lips too, making it harder for me to play in church too...

3. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    I find it helpful to exercise before I play. If I get a little cardio and stretch I feel much more opened up.

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I used to have the exact same problem........I would become so frustrated that I wanted to give it up. I could blast with the best of them in the evening, but in the mornings, I sounded like a complete goofball. The trick is hot breakfast, and hot fluids, fluids, and more fluids. I don't know why, but it worked wonders for me. I usually pee three times before the service starts because I drink so much coffee and water. And I eat something hot even if it's a slice of pizza.....does'nt matter. Just eat and drink up. Let me know if it works for you too.

5. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

WHISTLEPIGSBAND New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    shooter, i luv your reply. i hav never tried that and other replies mentioned puffyness in the chops. u hav given me new hope bout playin in the morn. i will definitley remember your advice and try it next i get in that situation. thanks

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Perhaps if you wake and just buzz, with and without the mouthpiece, this will better and more gradually acclimate your lips and body to playing in the morning.