Playing in front of classmates.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. beckhome

beckhome New Friend

Feb 10, 2008
    Tigard, Oregon
    Focus on the music, not on the room, or the people in the room, or anything else. If you're playing with a piano, focus on how you are interacting with the piano. Pick something in the room to focus on while you aren't playing, a light fixture, or some fixed stationary object, NOT a person! Stay in the moment, block out the "what if's". Focus on your breathing, getting good deep breaths, especially before you start. Take two or three deep slow breaths before you start. Vusualize success, as in what will it take for you to feel that you are successful and then work to accomplish that vision.

2. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    There have been a lot of great suggestions made. One thing I find that works for me is to perform the piece/solo in front of family or friends.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    You don´t have much time left for miracles, and
    miracles isn´t what it´s about anyway!

You´ve got some good advice already, and playing
    loooooooong notes is one of them, since this will
    give you things concerning lips as well as breathing.

One thing that can happen when we get nervous is that
    we feel like we´ve run short of air, and one concrete
    thing you could do to get used to this feeling is simply
    to hold your breath for as long as you can.
    Count the seconds to see if you can extend the
    timemore and more every time you do the exercise.

Do this exercise a couple of times every day until it´s
    time to perform, and when that day comes you will be
    so used to the feeling that handling it will be easy.

Good luck! :-)

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    The oldest recomendation is to imagine the audience inthis case your class mates intheir under ware. that never worked for me but I did nothave nerves in Band just in sport's! Deep breathing before hand helps. So does makeing you body completly rigid for a 7 count then relaxing it. You are basicly trying to use up the nervious energy and tensiona nd get your muscle to relax by purposefuly flexing them all hard then takeing a deep breath. SOme people count by 3's or 7's or will count out pie asint he mathmaterical form of pie not apple pie out as far as they can all the way up until they have to go on stage. this takes their mind off of what they are getting ready to do and keeps their mind busy so they can not worry in that dead time waiting to go on. Some people pray!

I used to play infront of a mirror or practice my speach's in a miror etc... this always helped believe it or not looking at yourself play is preety disturbing at first!

5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Every time I have a major recital coming up, for about a month before hand, I get up, warm up, and run through the program EVERY DAY at the SAME TIME that my performance will be.

So if it's at 9am, like my last recital for University, up at 7, warm up at 8, PERFORMANCE at 9.

This approach helps me to get into the habit of being comfortable with playing at that time every day, and my body and mind find it natural after time.

The day before the actual performance, I keep practice minimal so as to preserve chops for the next day. I DO, however, get up and VISUALISE the performance in my mind. The trick being that the subconscious mind does not differentiate between actual reality and imagined reality. Visualise the performance being the best in your life, and you will subconsciously remember that.

Lastly, an opportunity to perform like this is a good chance to make an impression. This is not done through trying to be IMPRESSIVE, but rather striving to be EXPRESSIVE. Think of EXPRESSION as "sticking-out". When you EXPRESS yourself, this will create the IMPRESSION, like sticking your hand into a bucket of clay.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I know I say this a lot I should probably put in my signiture.....but here goes!! We as trumpet players sell our music with phraseing phraseing will make or break the entire performanc emore then any other single factor!!!! If you screw up do not stop keep on going and remember phraseing sell's the piece!

7. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    If the twerps start laughing or anything like that, tell them to do it themselves and to do it better than you do.

8. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    At our school there isn't a lot of laughing or telling someone they suck to their face, it's mainly talking trash behind their back. No one really has the guts to tell someone else they suck to their face and mean it 100% and if they did to me depending on who they were I would bust their lip cause I've only been playing for 6 years, but that's 6 years of my life dedicated to doing what I love and for someone to say something like that would really set me off.

9. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perform in front of your family and friends.

STARE THEM DOWN

I had a girl over today and she wanted to hear me play guitar and sing. I wasn't too keen on it because I'm pretty shy about singing. But once I started doing it, it felt like I went further with regards to my nervousness when performing. I was more nervous before I started than I was once I was playing. Just invite some friends over and play in front of them, or play for your family. Or just go somewhere where you can play where other people will be and play there. (go busking?)

Just get used to having people watch you and enjoy yourself. I find if I'm performing for one person, it's good to look them in the eye quite a bit. But I had a teacher who hated this during classroom presentations. So don't just look at your teacher, look at you classmates.

If you're reading the music then just act like you're practicing and stare the music down and forget about everyone else.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Concentrate on the area around your heart, and try breathing from there. If we concentrate on that, it tends to take our over-active minds out of the equation, synchronizes pulse and breath, and relieves excess tension. For more details, google "heartmath." Fun stuff there.