Playing in later years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello- I am quite young and am looking to potentially go to music school and the question of at what age do people end up putting down the horn? Are there people that are very old and still successfully playing?

Patrick

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    There's a bunch on here. i'm 62...........Buck:roll::oops:

3. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Well I wouldn't consider 62 all that old :)

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I occasionally play with Ray Nordahl:

Ray Nordahl

He's a very good player.

Over the years I've played with a number of 80-somethings who were still playing at a high level. I once played in a community band that had a fellow in his mid-90's in the trumpet section. I wouldn't say that he played particularly well at that point in his life, but he was still playing and obviously having a good time.

5. flugeler

flugeler New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    SoCal
    "Doc Cheatham continued playing until two days before his death, eleven days shy of his 92nd birthday."

I keep trying to put the thing down, but it won't let go...

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm 40 and going strong, but I know a number of folks in their 50s, 60s and 70s who are still playing great.

I'm convinced that being an active musician is an incurable disease because it's one of those things I just feel compelled to do. I know a lot of other folks who are the same way, and it isn't necessarily because we are great players either (I'm not a fantastic player, and some of the others aren't as well) but there is just something about making music with other people who also love music that draws us to do it.

Side note - Someone told me the other day he's still playing with the Chicago symphony now and again - not principle, but other parts as needed. is that true? isn't Bud 90 this year?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm 45 - a comebacker for 23 months now -- am better than I ever was. Doc Severinsen (I believe is 80 something) and still playing, and the late great Maynard Ferguson played into his 70's before he passed -- I might be a few years off -- but I would say --play until you can't play anymore.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Now at 72 in the 5 years since I retired I have more time for focused practice and am steadily improving, I play in a Big band where all the trumpets are over 70 and will continue playing as long as I have the strength to hold the horn to the face.

Regards, Stuart.

Big Country likes this.
  9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I was born in 1936...........I'm still playing:-)

Wilmer

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I'm 68, lifelong amateur, fortunate to have played in very good concert bands and don't plan to quit until pretty close to death. :lol: There is no pressure on 2nd part players. Have played in church for many years and in a local swing band Kalamazoo Checkers, who do occasional gigs around the area.