Playing in later years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    MFfan, you could have written my trumpet playing experience for me. I too am a 65 year old retiree who plays in church and in a local swing band. On occasion I'm asked to fill in at a concert band. Since I'm self taught, the information that's come my way through trumpet master has helped me become alot more efficient in my playing. Good luck to you and keep the music going.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My Dad's 72 and still playing lead in a local swing band. CC's? No problem.

I'll give you my trumpet when you take it from my cold, dead hands ! :laughwave:

3. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Age 75. Nineteen months into my "comeback" after a 51(52?) year layoff. 2nd chair, 2nd trumpet in a good community band. Better now than at age 22 when I quit. Problems due to aging: breath control; finger dexterity; "relearning" music theory; music vocabulary ie, when I quit playing a "gig" was what you used to catch frogs; "jazz" was basically dixieland (New Orleans) jazz; "chops" were pork and were best fried; improvisation was by ear alone ala Satchmo; a "combo" was piano, sax, drums, trumpet, not a fast food order. Pay for a 3 hour "gig" was $10 plus all the beer you could drink. Many changes over 50+ years, but the horn is still played the same way -- the guy/gal behind the horn is what makes the difference and it still takes practice, practice, practice. (Age 75 = more time to practice). Although I have tried out new "pro" horns my preferences lean toward "vintage" horns (King, Besson, Getzen, Conn, etc.) and the vintage players who played them (Rafael Mendez, H. James, Satchmo, Dizzy, Al, Doc, Bunny, etc.). And Wilmer -- I didn't think I could possibly be older than you :) JA

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I still answer to Junior here in NYC:cool:
    Wilmer

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Man!!! And I thought I was old! I will be 60 in January. :lol: I still play often, although I am not as strong as I once was (Had a case of Bell's Palsy, got most of my control back but not all.) I can play but the muscles give out. For eight months could not buzz a mouthpiece. That was when I discovered how much I really enjoyed the horn. I will play at as high a level as I can as long as I draw breath. :play:
    The main thing is to keep working and not give up. (Insert theme from Rocky... preferably the Maynard version)

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Well, there is your answer. Life long musicians are all over the place. Enjoy.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    There are some pluses about getting older as a player. Hand vibrato just comes naturally.:oops:

8. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Only started this year at 52, and its the most fun i have had in ages, spent my youth as a swimmer and will never get back to that level as age does make a massive difference. The trumpet is all new to me so the only way is up. Plus its only my lips that get wet, except on a windy day when i open the spit valve and got a great pattern on the light coloured pants!!!

9. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    I still answer to Junior here in NYC
    Wilmer

Wilmer... errrrr, Junior.... Thanks for the comeback. You guys do a great job...

JA

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm 58 and play lead trumpet in Detroit's busiest big band.

I also hear there is some cat named Severinsen who is still blowin' walls down at age 83.