Playing in later years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    At 63 I am the best I have ever been at almost everything I can still do. I can still jump as high, but I can't stay up as long.

2. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    My friend Clyde Reasinger played with everybody. He played lead on the Gil Evans/Miles Davis sessions, played lead for Maynard in the 50's, played lead for Stan Kenton and Harry James. He is 84 still practices every day and fronts his own big band. You are NEVER too old.

3. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Never put the horn down. I am 71 and play every day. I play many gigs where several of the players are in their 70's. Check out Lou Colombo on Cape Cod. He is 83 and plays better than most players in their 20's and 30's. I still have a real job but I have been playing horn jobs since I was 16. Started playing at age 8.

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Eery Robin , I am the same age as you. So is Moses Malone for that matter.

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Chuck you are even older than my wife. LOL

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have a couple of Messiah performances, I am playing TTSS on a D Trumpet, in the next few weeks. I am working on the Brandenburg Concerto...... I want to show the whippersnappers that it can be done with false teethROFL
    Wilmer

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I'm 69 and still going strong. But I know some that have slowed down at a much younger age, but I think that is partly due to lack of interest in keeping up their skills, or just boredom. Some have switched to another instrument.:thumbsup:

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Saw Snooky Young with the Clayton/Hamilton Jazz Orch last year at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival in Moscow ID. I believe Mr Clayton introduced him as being over 80. He ripped it up on his solos. Personally, 72 and counting, I play in the third seat in a local big band and fool around once a week in a Hot Club of France-type group. I won't quit until I can't play that thing.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I won't quit until I can. :cool:

10. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Patrick, hopefully you'll be blessed with excellent health throughout your life and can play the trumpet, and pursue all interests, for as long as you like.

I'd like to ask those folks who must use dentures if this has significantly impacted their ability to play trumpet, or is it merely another thing to which we must adapt in order to continue playing the trumpet?

BTW, this is a great thread. Thanks, Patrick. It is so nice to hear about all of us old cats still out there doin' our thang. And, like veery, I'm doing a lot of things better at 52 than I did in my teens and early 20's, including playing the trumpet and keyboard.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010