Playing in later years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    I just love this thread. Brilliant. I started playing 20 months ago at 51 years old and you guys are really inspiring me to practice, baby, practice ! ( Sadly I have a day job ). Thumbs up to you all ! : ) x

2. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    I'm 51 and on the comeback trail after 30 years away. One of the biggest factors in my decision to come back was the knowledge that I could continue on this quest, god willing, to the day I die. Being a musician makes one a more complete person and that in itself is an inspiration to me. Play that trumpet, love it, and don't ever put it down!!

3. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    I totally agree - being a musician makes you a more complete person. Thanks for the encouragement !

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Give Clyde my best wishes. I filled in for him with the Quincy Jones band in Philadelphia years ago.
    Wilmer

5. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    At 30 years old, I'm at least 20 years younger than any other trumpet player in my community concert band. As long as it's fun, I'll keep playing.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well good question about how long can you play trumpet...
    My first teacher in the 1970's was a gentleman called Paddy Fitzallen - he's of still blowing in Perth WA - retired muso and arranger.
    MF played into his 80s..

After reading this great thred I realise I still have about 30 years of playing left in the tank..... 50+ is a baby around here.
    Cheers

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I started my band when I was 50. I'll keep playing as long as they let me get away with it.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am fortunate to have been asked to play in a big band made up of guys who played in the 40s,50s and 60s. I'm the youngster in the group at 61. The director just turned 80 and stills plays a great trumpet, I love to hear his improvised solos. 3 out of 5 sax players are late 80s and early 90s. Not the best big band that I have played in but probably the most fun. Quit thinking about age and just have fun.

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Right.

Age is simply the year you were born. It has nothing to do with anything else.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yep, age - like weight - is only a number. :roll: