Playing in later years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    Wow, after reading this thread, maybe I will hold off on my retun until I am in my 60's. :)
    On a serious note, the distinguished among you gives me hope that maybe one day I too can be playing and loving it everyday.

2. BORTrumpetMom

BORTrumpetMom New Friend

Jul 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    We bought my son's Olds from the widow of the man who had owned it (they are/were longtime friends of my parents). He passed away in his upper seventies and had played it the day before he died.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Close, Maynard died at 78 but was still blowing up a storm. Doc is still going great at 83. Clark Terry just hit 90.

My dad plays just about every day and he is 82

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa

great story....creapy....but great. :shhh:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    John, don't JUST be inspired by the distinguished among us - there are many TM members just like you, who are expressing their passion in their ongoing attempt to master this fickle mistress called trumpet (and only fickle because of the way we treat her), and we are not distinguished at all. :huh:

Remember, the sooner you get into to it, the longer you get to play. It is all about having fun - in whichever genre calls you. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Born the same year, get me a full upper denture and release/approval of my heart doc and look out ... I'll be back playing ... maybe not as well as I have played, but playing. Did a comeback after 40+ years away and no reason I shouldn't be able to do it again. The horns lay around me as I write this and they're rarin' to be played. Age hasn't nuttin' to do with the whether or not.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's a recent picture of our brass band's cornet section. Not too many slouches, as we scored well and won our class at the first NABBA competition we entered. Many of us are in our late 50's or early 60's, and still going strong. I'm the geezer in center on the front...:D

[​IMG]

8. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    Is there some unwritten code that says you have to eventually put down the horn? The next time I put down my horn will be when the morticians pry it from my cold, dead hands, laddie boy.

Yes, you are young. Your words reveal that.

Oh, lest I forget - ;-)