playing in pink

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 21, 2015.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    When I warmup on soft low notes I'm fine; but as soon as I increase my range my lips feel puffy and my notes cut out. Than when the mouthpiece lowers to where I have in on the pink of my lips my range increases. Is too much mouthpiece pressure the culprit? Please don't say I answered my own question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Go back to the basics. Don't jam the horn into your face, or have your lips overlaping.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks Culbe for your reply. Yes I do use too much mouthpiece pressure. The lips overlapping is something I can work on.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Seems you have been playing on your own for too long. Get a teacher to inspect your embouchure.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Good advice! A teacher can see what your doing exactly and suggest technique and exercise to remedy the issue. We can only assume what you might be doing and suggest the method which we employ........and it might not be right either

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need a daily routine for maintenance. Long tones, lip slurs, very basic melodies. If the daily routine is good, then you can start to work on range. If it is not good, you need to check what is wrong.

Asking about symptoms surrounding range is useless without knowing about your body use and breathing.

Notes cutting out means that the lips are not vibrating. That is normally a tension issue. The tension can be pressure, the lips "clamped" together or many other things. It is ALWAYS accompanied by weak breathing as when the air is flowing properly, it is VERY hard to stop the lips from vibrating. The air is like the lubrication.

I do suspect that your breathing is deficient and that your "increasing" of range is not based on small steps building, rather more in the direction of brute force.

I teach with Earl Irons lip flexibility book. It has in my opinion the best collection of lipslurs for general practice.

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all. I value your suggestions very much. I believe the Earl Irons lip flexibility book might be worth looking into.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I believe that the first step is NOT a book. I believe that it is learning to prepare the body and then to breathe in a BIG relaxed way. Once the air issues are covered, then the rest falls into place if we have a plan for the small steps required.

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Once again I thank you for all your help.