Playing in the Afternoon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Boehm Train, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Boehm Train

Boehm Train New Friend

Mar 17, 2012
    North Dakota
    Hi, I am currently in college and working on a recital. I have run into a snag when playing throughout the day. For no understandable reason, I am now a one hit wonder. I sound great in the morning, and then once the afternoon rolls around, you would think I had no idea what was going on. Just today, for example I was performing the 3rd movement of the Haydn Concerto at four and just couldn't get sound on anything above a concert G. I hadn't played too much during the day, and my endurance is good enough that I have played that piece really well (aside from the trills which still need some work). Anybody have some advice on how not to suck in the afternoon. I drink lots of water and put stuff on my lips to make sure I don't dry out. It just seems like my lips don't fit the mouthpiece the same either. I plan on practicing in the afternoon a lot more than I have been to see if that helps, but if you guys think of anything else, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Boehm, Welcome to TM, and you have good taste, the Getzen 4 valve Flugel.... Before I make any comments, first answer this... How do you lips feel when you come back to play in the afternoon?

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Boehm, welcome to TM. As stated above, +1 on the whole Getzen thing. The Genesis is an impressive looking hammer and their flugels are on my Christmas list. I too have poor times durring the day to play. I used to practice first thing in the morning and got into a groove that didnt let me play well in the afternoon/evening. I started switchin up my practice times and it was hard at first, but now my lip is ready pretty much 24/7. I still suck, now I suck all of the time. Seriously...after I broke the mold and started practicing at various times it has been much better for me. Also look out for anything you eat or drink that may be fighting you. Trial and error and seat of the pants detective work is all that I can suggest at this time with such little information to go on. Good luck and let us know what you eventually find out. Best wishes.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I'm probably the odd ball here, I play better in the afternoon and evening than in the morning. the problem is that the big band I play in reh. on Sat. mornings [nuts].

5. Boehm Train

Boehm Train New Friend

Mar 17, 2012
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the advice so far. I am a big fan of the Getzens, but that Kanstul Besson C is right up there too. Anyway, to answer the question from above, my lips generally feel weird around noon/for a while after I eat. They seem to get bigger and unresponsive. I realize that your lips might get a little larger after some intense playing, but that shouldn't affect me all day, especially with how much I play daily. Most days I warm up just before 8 am and then have my first ensemble at around 10. Then I have various ensembles throughout the day. The morning session at 10 always feels and sounds great, but the afternoon generally sucks. The evening is when our jazz ensemble rehearses, but that normally goes fine, probably because I use a Rick Baptist model Marc. mouthpiece and it just manages to make even weird lip work.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, it does affect you through the day if you have swelling in the morning. It is called edema, and it is a healing reaction to strain. It will effect the dynamics of fit in your mouthpiece, which is what you are experiencing when you play later. The lymph system will drain this edema by the next morning, but it is a physiological reaction to overuse of lip muscle. You have two choices, either decrease your morning workout by 20-40% OR try massage of your lips both upper and lower between rests or tunes. This will help minimize edema accumulation AND will increase blood flow to help clear lactic acid build up from muscle overuse and promote healing.

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I once had an injury (not trumpet related) that produced a fair amount of swelling. I have been going to a chiropractic physician for over 20 years. He is heavily involved in accupressure and accupuncture. He showed me a few spots to use accupressure that produced very good results. The results were not permanent but I was able to reduce the swelling and pain in the area and continued to use this technique until the injury healed. It's worth a try.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I find that I am better in the afternoon as long as I have "done" my warm ups in the morning. I play through, a grade 7 excersise, then a two or three of the scales, Clarke 2nd and 3rd, Dixons range builder, Schlossberg, I forget the page but the page with the intervals and double/triple exercises and possibly one piece, all after about five mins of long low tones. The key in this for me is never going above MP then in the afternoon I feel set up for some work.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Loose lip flapping also helps clear lactic acid buildup ... The big breath and blow it all out in 2 seconds routine, sounds like a hoarse horse. I have the same problem .... Especially now that I'm going to the small mps.

Turtle

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    While there certainly are physical issues that cause this, your mind is your greatest enemy. Don't let negative thoughts get in your mind. They will kill you as fast or faster than the physical issues. Put them both together and you are dead in the water.
    Rich T.