Playing in the Afternoon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Boehm Train, Oct 12, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    How true! I have one set of thought patterns for trumpet (including a lot of mixed thinking) and an entirely different one for singing. I'm a relaxed singer and a stressed out trumpeter. :dontknow:

I have to change my thinking patterns. Easier said than done.

Turtle

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    You and as well as most of us have a problem with concentration later in the day.

This is something I learned from one of the "older" players in the Welk Orchestra-

I asked him how he was able to play several shows in the same day and still be fresh and he suggested that I take a show before every show. It worked.

After your morning shower, you are refreshed and it also works later in the day.

I have used this trick for the past years and have been able to improve my concentration for whatever I have to do.

Try it before you go to your next rehearsal for your recital and see if it helps.

Remember, it just a recital, there is life after college.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    A general rule I've taken to heart (or at least tried to) over several years of dedicated practice:

Rest as much as you play, meaning if you play a 45 second exercise, rest for that amount of time when you're finished. Finger through the exercise while you rest.
    BREATHE. Do breathing exercises. Always stay conscious of your breathing throughout your practice sessions and even throughout the day. Don't allow yourself to get below "half a tank" of air when playing the trumpet, because it's just too dang hard to work with!
    Have confidence. Whatever level you're currently at, believe in yourself and believe that you'll get through whatever it is you're trying to get through. Trumpet playing is more in your head than you think, and I don't mean the lips.

I know this doesn't specifically address your problems, but going back to the basics has certainly helped me get through my seemingly endless stream of trumpet trials and errors.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    rest as much as you play .. might help

5. Seafra

Seafra New Friend

Sep 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I usually play the best at night, just because I'm a night owl and I have more focus when everyone else is dozing off. I would say don't think about it so much, the negative thoughts are probably a big part of it. Someone else mentioned that as well.
    Also, try warming up in the afternoon just as you do in the morning.

6. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    I tried it, it worked for me.
    A bit of this and some placebo kicking in but hey, if that keeps me going :)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that is why I get paid the big-bucks. Seriously, I do pride myself in being able to apply sound, basic medical principles to trumpet playing, which you can find ONLY HERE on TM... so stick around my friend.

8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Does anyone know of any good/good looking lip massagers? I think this sounds like a great idea but we probably need to make sure they aren't zumba teachers too. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Ray Z
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you want to put that kind of money out for the Zumba massager, knock yourself out big-boy! But on my pay-scale, I do self lip massage with my thumb and index finger.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, my remedy for lip massage is kissing my wife.