Playing in the Heat!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davidquinlan, Jun 23, 2005.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Hi Manny,

Any advice on keeping cool playing in the heat. Us Londoners are enjoying a heat wave at the moment (30 degrees in the shade in my garden at the moment.. 86 Farenheight!).

Playing in the pit orchestra for a college production of FAME! where there is also lots of heat generating things that one would normally find in a pit.

Yesterday, for dress rehearsal, 'top and tail' a few numbers then 1st performance, I went thru 2 litres of water!! Applied plenty of chop saver after the gig!

Ha, also got told off for being too loud!! Everyone else in the pit is "electrified" or percussion!, keys, bass!! (we're using a 4 piece band, keys, bass, drums and trumpet)

Chops feels a bit stuffy today, going to do a warm up (ha in this weather) soon!

David

2. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    My advice would be not to move to Phoenix. It was 115 there yesterday. I picked the right week to come to Colorado, me thinks...

Good luck with the heat and pull out that tuning slide.

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    That's not hot!! Call us again when it gets around 100-degrees Farenheight with 90% humidity, or like our AZ friends, 115 F with no humidity. (When I go to AZ in the summer, it makes me imagine that's how it feels to stick your head in an oven. It's so dry however, that you may not realize how much you've been sweating, which is dangerous).

(Ok, I won't make you wait, bring a towel and plenty of water with you and when the sweat starts running on your lips, blow upwards occasionally, like you're trying to straighten your hair with a blow, to blow it off your lips and the tip of your nose. Those that normally use a gold plated mpc might prefer a silver plate in these conditions, as the gold tends to start sliding around a bit. If you're forced to play outside in a dark blue, wool uniform in these conditions -- I've done it--, pray for mercy from above and watch for the woodwinds to start dropping like flies). Really, 86 ain't even beginning to get hot. Suck it up and play on.

Mannie's been in MN so long he may have forgotten about real hot... :-P

Dave

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I remember one time I actually brought my horn with me on vacation to Puerto Rico. Where my folks live everybody's up by 6 am so I started practicing at about 7.

It was 90 degrees by 7:30 and I was bathed in sweat after each etude even though I mopped myself down after each one. 90 degrees... tropics... 7:30 am.

That's bloody hot. I guess that's the reason G-d surrounded the place with beaches.

ML

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I know exactly what you mean Mannie. Long ago I was a roofer in North Florida. One of the hottest feeling times was alway early in the summer mornings when the sun was burning the dew off the roof. You'd have the "normal" humidity plus steam (literally) coming up in your face. Playing outside with the dew burning off the grass is much the same.

Dave

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Here in Phoenix last night our low got down to about 94 F. But like others have said, it's a dry heat so it's really not that bad as long as you keep drinking water.
    Last year in marching band we were playing our first game of the season, it was late August, early September, some where around there. Anyways, we all had on our heavy dark blue and black uniforms that don't breath at all, and the temperature was about 120. Lets just say it was quite hot. Our section leader got up infront of the band and started doing this litle song and dance like many crazy people do. If you've ever heard that one rap/hiphop song that goes like "it's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes", well, he got up there and started singing "it's getting hot out here, so pull out all your slides". So like a great highschool marching band that we are, half of us pulled out our slides a bit, and the other half didn't. It was an absoulute tuneing disaster!
    Sorry to get off topic a bit, but the heat thing just reminded me of this litle story.

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    HAHAHA. Heat in the UK? I don't believe it! Come spend a few days with us in Texas in the good ol' United States of America. We have regions that average about 95-100 degrees (F) with 100% humidty and other regions of 120+ degrees (F) solid heat (no humidity). And yes, we still march is 100% cotton uniforms that weigh about 50lbs after you're done sweating in 'em, lol. Just drink lot's of water, wear a hat, pull that slide, and grease your chops... playing with sunburnt chops SUCK! Can you say oucch, especialy if you are a lead player. whew.... Take care all. All this talk aout heat has made me want to go jump in the pool. Peace.

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    You US guys may scoff at our bit of sunshine, but remember 99% of us don't have any airconditioning! Gets damn stuffy I can tell you.

I'm feeling it too at the moment David, but not as bad as a few years back. Just keeping drinking that water.

Makes me realise how much I like our normal climate, however (well, maybe not the rain!)

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    delete.

10. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    How far north are you in Scottsdale? Was that fire any threat to your area? My cousins have a vacation home up there, we're not sure if its still there though...