playing in the morning, and dry lips in general

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Oct 28, 2012.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi,

I've been having a problem for the past few years, and can't seem to solve it.
    Often when I have a gig in the morning, or practice in the morning, or after a few days of playing more than average, my lips are really dry.
    I try to play, and my muscles work fine, but it's really my lips that limit my playing. No matter how much water I drink, they won't stay wet.
    Somehow my highest notes at that point are just above the staff, and it takes a lot of effort to get them out. Usually, my range is almost an entire octave higher (D and E above high C).
    It feels like the condition of my lips is the limiting factor here. They are so dry that they just won't vibrate.

Does anyone have this problem / has anyone had this problem before?
    I refuse to believe that I'm the only trumpet player that has this problem.
    Does anyone know of any solutions to this problem, or how to prevent it from happening?

2. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Maybe try some lip balm overnight. I prefer a more natural lip balm, but im sure everyone has a different opinion or experience.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I play medium-wet myself but a few months ago had a major gig when my lips/mouth dried up an hour into the show. During a break (for me) I downed a bottle of water (about 350ml) but it didn't help very much. I suspect that as the ads for moisturising cream claim, water at times can dry your skin out as it evaporates and I think that happened to me. I mentioned this to a pharmacist a few weeks later and he suggested I try a soft paraffin+propylene glycol+wool fat lip balm. I did and it got me through the dry winter we have here.

--bumblebee

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I do use lip balm, often overnight, but it doesn't always help. I don't use anything special, just whatever they have in the supermarket. Perhaps I should try another one.
    Does anyone know any brands of lip balm that seem to work well?

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The brand of the stuff I'm using is "Oralife" by Orion Laboratories. If you can't get it in Holland PM me your address and I'll send a couple of tubes over for you to try.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've had problems with energy drinks before a morning gig. Sometimes my lips swell, and I don't know if it the aluminum or some chemical sprayed on the outside. We want to hydrate the day before, and while beer is pretty neutral, harder alcohol or sodas can act like a diuretic.

Good luck!

7. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Try to find a lip balm that does not use petroleum/petrolatums but uses natural moisturizers instead, like shea butter, olive oil or other rich emmolients. I've been using a lip balm from where I get my hair cut that has tea tree oil in it along with the natural moisturizers. Chop Saver is great, too as it has some topical anti-inflammatories in it. You don't want the petroleum based stuff because it only makes a barrier, but doesn't actually do any active moisturizing. Also, you're putting it on your lips, it's inevitable that you will ingest it. Would you eat Vaseline? Best of luck.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Alcohol of any kind will get you dehydrated. In fact the best way to fend off hangovers is to drink lots and lots of water as you party on. AS for the OP's problem, I'm not sure really what could be a solution. Thick lip balm over night, perhaps a breakfast with minimum salt, plenty of fluid, stay away from coffee. Guess any/all of this and more should be experimented.

9. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I've had major problems when taking benadryl for allergies. My lips would dry up so that they would stick to my teeth then be swollen for three days. I've learned to not use benadryl.

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Bumblebee: thanks for the offer. I can't buy that stuff here, but since shipping can be very expensive, I'll have to pass on that, and find something that IS sold here.

I've heard about chop saver before, but I've never tried it. That stuff is pretty expensive too, but I've found one store that sells it in the Netherlands.
    I think I'll order a few of those, and see wat they do...

bumblebee likes this.