playing in the morning, and dry lips in general

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Oct 28, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Morning playing sucks. Takes awhile for the lips to wake up. Some things that help me are eating a good hot breakfast and stretching the lips out by opening my mouth as wide as I can and flapping.

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I've been dealing with dry lips in the AM as well, cause that's when I usually practice. I use a lot of Burt's Bees, and still have to deal with dry lips a lot.

I saw that ChopSaver stuff a while back, but thought it was just a sales marketing gimmick.

Now I'll have to give it a whirl.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

+1. Try a natural hemp lip balm. That's what I've been using for the last couple of years (it's in my supermarket, and really cheap) and it works well for this. I also use it on my saxophone cork, and it not only helps to get tight mouthpieces on, but it seems to protect and condition the cork as well. Great for the lips, too.

Turtle

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Do these balms etc. not make your mouthpiece slip? Whenever, I've tried something like this (ie vaseline) my top lip slips upwards and I go from a 50/50 to what feels like a 10/90

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Guess it like uh, helps your "high" register duuuude! I'm hungry!

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    In the great US of A, WalMart sells sticks of Vitamin E for what used to be less than a dollar. Demand (and their greed) have sent the price up. I find that stuff to be excellent. You can even use a thin coat whilst playing. I got the idea from this site.

7. DaveB

DaveB New Friend

Sep 24, 2012
    In Traditional Chinese Medicine, dry lips are caused by poor spleen or stomach qi. Said another way, something is out of wack energetically and it shows up in certain places in your body. if you take care of the problem, you won't have to put wax on your lips. It could be diet, stress etc... Something as simple as adding Omega fatty oils from the vitamin shop, olive oil and lots of veges can help you prevent the dry lips. Or a trip to the acupuncture to confirm what I am saying and some herbal tea's. Once you get spleen energy going again you won't need chap stick. Oh yeah, meats and caffeine can contribute to that problem. google or youtube donna eden five minutes energy routine specifically spleen thumps. You are basically just tapping on points under your arm pit. If you tap on them and it's sore, it means your spleen needs a little boost.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have used Chopsaver for many years and it does work. Please remember the product was invented and the company is run by a fine trumpet player. It does work.

9. DaveB

DaveB New Friend

Sep 24, 2012
    Not saying the product doesn't work. It's like acne. You can use a good crème to get rid of it, or you can address the problem at a deeper level. Thank goodness I'm too old for acne.

10. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    So I just got my ChopSaver in the mail this AM, and I think I'm already sold on this stuff - how's that for a knee-jerk assessment?

Let me play a few mornings with it, and I'll get back to you.

If anyone's curious, I've got a very happy spleen.