Playing in the morning/evening

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I'm having a problem for a while now...
    On workdays when I come home and take the trumpet I can't play very decent, all notes ask way more then what they should.
    I really have to make an almost fysical effort to even hit a G on top of the staff. Me lips start to feel stiffer and stiffer when I go higher.

Then when I have the opportunity to play in the morning (on saterdays and sundays), everything is fine and a lot easier to hit.
    I can hit high C (first one above the staff) without a lot of effort and hold it there.

The work I do isn't fysical at all and I always make sure to drink enough water to keep myself hydratated.
    I also don't feel exhausted when I come home since a have a normal non-fysical 9 to 17 workday.

Anyone had something similar, or has a clue?

Regards

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Sounds like it's just the way our bodies change through the day - dryness, stiffness, fatigue etc.

I've noticed that after I've been making sauerkraut or something similar where there's lots of salt flying around, I can pick up a trumpet afterwards and squeak out stuff way higher than normal. Interesting party trick but no more than that. It's what we can do on demand anytime that is the better measure of us.

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Which would mean I kind of suck :/.
    Only weird thing is that I didn't have this problem f.e. 6 months ago.

Edit: damn, I better chose the saxophone years ago, haha

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I advise you not to stress out of those high notes after work.
    Its because of your physical work during your working hours.
    Just do a better warm up.
    I do long tones, scales and lip buzzing.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I work similar hours to you, but try and get in at least half an hour's practice before I set off for work. Maybe if you were playing in your sweetspot seven days a week rather than just two things might improve?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Katza,

I struggled with this for a while to - until I discovered something: too much coffee and too little water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and you will be playing better soonest! 6 months ago you did better because the weather was easier on your body!

The only thing that I can't solve is concentration after work. Rehearsals are difficult. A concert is usually no problem because I enter a fifth state of mind where there is no left/right/up/down or going back.

7. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Thanks for your comment Rowuk.
    Well, I don't drink coffee, I drink lots of water so my pee is always clear (this indicates that your body is well hydratated, no?)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Coffee is not the only evil, just the most common. Sodium is also right up there (we need the right amount - but not too much in summer) as is sugar.

If you have a job where you are forced to smile a lot, that could also stress your face. If the going is tough, play longtones is what I always say!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not a bad idea, getting up a half hour earlier and getting some notes in. In the evening, I'd suggest getting nice and relaxed before playing, including a nice warm shower or bath to help remove the tension built up during the day. All jobs involve stress, and perhaps this is why Saturdays and Sundays work better for you.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Over-hydration (clear pee) points to the loss of electrolytes, perhaps an issue.