Playing in the morning/evening

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Well, I don't think I'm over-hydratated, I don't drink an extreme amount of water, I think about 1,5l - 2l each day.

Trying to play in the morning would be a good option, playing in the house isn't an option because I live with other people.
    Anyway, I'm planning on making a box with insulation material to point my bell into (just like playing into a closet full of clothes, but more portable).
    I'll have to try it out and then I can probably play some trumpet in the garage in the morgning (with the box).

Thanks for the comments guys!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ah, I always wondered why trumpet players looked so grumpy and mean. I'm just saving my chops. Actually, it does make sense, especially if you play with the smile embrousure that was taught so much back in the 50s and 60s.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Best Brass or Silent Brass practice mutes are state of the art quiet and could also be considered.

4. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Talk about overthinking the issue, sodium, coffee, hydration blah blah blah. Just take the mouthpiece with you. Buzz a bit on your way to work and on your way back home so you are ready to start warming up.

That's what I do.

5. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Well I did that for a while, some problem, on the way to my work the buzzing went well, on my way back it was harder...
    Every single day.

I'll just accept this problem and keep my playing in the comfy-zone, time will tell :)

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Kantza, do you eat in the morning before you play? What about the evening? Are you overweight? How do you sleep?

7. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I never eat in the morning, I know this is a bad habbit...
    But I do eat at noon and in the evening offcourse, my BMI is perfect btw.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Really? Overthinking? Based on what do you make this generalization? My next recommendation is to take a hot shower when getting home, relaxing for 15-20 minutes and then trying to play. If you don't mind........

9. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Rowuk yes you can have a hot shower, you have my permission. You can "relax" in the shower all you want, I really don't mind.

I am sure you need it

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    That's what they told us in the Navy