Playing in the morning/evening

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Aug 9, 2015.

1. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Pianissimo User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    I have the opposite problem, I can't play well in the morning. I think my lips swell a bit overnight and I am not used to them that way. Maybe if I practiced more in the morning I would get used to it, I rarely practice then.

It could be you are used to your morning lips so the answer could be to play PM-only for a few weeks to forget about the AM lips.

2. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    I try and get in 30 minutes in the morning (I'm lucky enough to have an empty house by 6:45), but I find I always play better if I haven't played a lot the evening prior.

I would agree with a lot of the people saying it could be a result of the day.. It's not just playing that wears our facial muscles. If you go to the gym after doing a day's physical work, you're never going to perform as well as if you took it steady..

Perhaps buzzing your lips throughout the day (if it doesn't weird everyone else out) might help, it should keep them more relaxed and relieve some of the tension.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something that I believe is similarly related is weight gain/loss. At my heaviest, I get to a point where I'm not playing worth a dang on anything, and at my lightest point of fluctuation, my endurance doesn't seem to be quite as good. There's a point in between toward the lighter side of my weight fluctuation where I seem to be right on the money - I play more accurately and have noticeably better range and endurance. My weight can and has fluctuated as much as 30 pounds in the last decade or so. I've got another hobby as a home brewer, and that was NOT conducive to a slim waistline! I haven't brewed up anything since last September, so I can't be tempted by tasty home brew, but I digress.

I suppose if I played more than I do, the weight fluctuation wouldn't matter as much, but since a good bit of my practice is maintenance work and I'm not doing hours every day, so I don't assimilate to those changes quite as well - the weight change alters the fleshiness of my lips, which in turn affects how it functions with static hardware.

Bringing this back to the subject at hand, a lot of people swell or shrink as the day goes on, either due to dehydration or fluid retention based in part on diet, but based in part on the individual - some people swell or shrink more that others, thus altering the fleshiness or size of the lips, and affecting how it functions with your trumpet hardware.

4. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I know for me practice can be difficult at the end of a work day. More mental fatigue than physical tiredness. After-work concerts are usually fine, I guess because of the adrenaline from performing.

5. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    An update on this...

I've noticed that it's not really a morning/evening thing, but really a workday/non-workday thing.
    The problem is probably that my body isn't relaxed after work, taking a hot shower and "relaxing" did help a bit...

Well, I'll probably just have to live with it -_-

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I ALWAYS have trouble playing after I eat. I do much better on an empty stomach. Lots of water, though.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use my trumpet to remove the tensions of the day. That's why it works for me no matter what time of the day I pick it up. Having the horn there provides me with a musical shower, and that is all I need to clean up my playing. Either way, water or horn, it's the mind set that relaxes. I only hope that many of you can get to the mindset that it is the horn, not what you do prior to picking up the horn, that is the key to relaxation.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And you call yourself a doctor?? Whatever happened to drugs?:evil:

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    how about music that is fun during the week...I enjoy the practice routine but if you think it's stress whip out an Aebersold track or anything you really enjoy playing and just play music. I know you will need a bit of daily maintenance , still something you won't be worried about range or speed/mechanics.
    I enjoy playing "Nature Boy" with my eyes closed... very relaxing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvgShSQhJ8s

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh... They are but for the woes that cannot be cured by the trumpet. (and to put a few extra bucks in our back pockets:whistle:)